Apr 28, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
If you were expecting negativity regarding the Dallas Stars squandering a two-goal lead and thus being knocked out of the playoffs by the Anaheim Ducks in Game 6 on Sunday, look beyond head coach Lindy Ruff.
The veteran bench boss acknowledged that mistakes were made, yet he clearly seems happy about their efforts and the big picture for a team with some promising young players.
It’s easy to see Ruff’s reasons for optimism when you glance at the salary structure of this team. Whether it be blossoming stars in the beginning of their peaks (Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn) or those approaching the latter years of that period (Kari Lehtonen), no one is making more than $6 million per season from a cap hit standpoint.
If the Stars can build from that point – and if Ruff can build up that core as it matures – this could be the kind of loss this team rallies around.
All those positive ifs make the more painful hypothetical question (“What if we protected that lead and made it to Game 7?”) that much easier to stomach.
At least, if you ask Ruff, it seems.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)