Apr 28, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
If you were expecting negativity regarding the Dallas Stars squandering a two-goal lead and thus being knocked out of the playoffs by the Anaheim Ducks in Game 6 on Sunday, look beyond head coach Lindy Ruff.
The veteran bench boss acknowledged that mistakes were made, yet he clearly seems happy about their efforts and the big picture for a team with some promising young players.
It’s easy to see Ruff’s reasons for optimism when you glance at the salary structure of this team. Whether it be blossoming stars in the beginning of their peaks (Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn) or those approaching the latter years of that period (Kari Lehtonen), no one is making more than $6 million per season from a cap hit standpoint.
If the Stars can build from that point – and if Ruff can build up that core as it matures – this could be the kind of loss this team rallies around.
All those positive ifs make the more painful hypothetical question (“What if we protected that lead and made it to Game 7?”) that much easier to stomach.
At least, if you ask Ruff, it seems.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)