Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets were the ultimate underdog going into the first round of the playoffs. Their lack of playoff experience was contrasted by the seasoned talent in Pittsburgh. While the team did have the reigning Vezina Trophy winner on their side in Sergei Bobrovsky, there’s no question that Pittsburgh has more big name stars on its roster.
That didn’t stop the Blue Jackets from taking two games in this series — the first playoff wins in their franchise’s history — and giving the Penguins trouble almost every time Pittsburgh thought they were finally beat.
The third period of Game 6 tonight was the perfect example of how this series went. The Blue Jackets were against the ropes, they rallied back, and fell short while still giving their fans reason to hope for the future.
The sense of pride despite falling short was brought up by other members of the Blue Jackets as they reflected on their campaign.
“Have to thank the fans…the support that we got from them says a lot. There’s a real sense of pride,” coach Todd Richards added.
They’ve set the bar higher going forward. Columbus showed they can compete against a team like Pittsburgh, but turning a promising squad into a major contender is a daunting task. Still, that’s the next step for the Blue Jackets.
"We have a rivalry born between the #Pens and Blue Jackets. They gave us everything we could handle." -Bylsma
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) April 29, 2014
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 0
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 34
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 15
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)