Video: Nathan MacKinnon scores overtime winner

Apr 27, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT

Nathan MacKinnon is still only 18 years old. Yet, after a three-point performance against the Minnesota Wild in Saturday’s entertaining and highly controversial Game 5, the young NHL rookie leads all players in the Stanley Cup playoffs with 10 points.

It’s early. True. But still impressive considering he’s only a teenager and will be for still quite some time.

His overtime goal – the first of his Stanley Cup playoff career – lifted the Avalanche to a 4-3 victory on home ice and pushed the Wild to the brink of elimination in this first round. Colorado now leads the series 3-2.

“Right at the top, for sure,” said MacKinnon when asked where this OT winner ranked in his young career. “I’ve never scored a goal like that in my life.”

1. mackattack29 - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM

10 points in 5 games to lead the nhl. Not bad for an 18 year old…

• guitarisgood4u - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Not bad at all, I wasn’t thrilled when the Avs won the lottery last year, knowing that they were gonna be in the same conference as the Wild, unlike the Oilers, Sabres or whoever was dead last.

I didn’t think he’s cause problems so soon :/

Here’s to the best team winning in game 7 ;)

• mackattack29 - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Wow. I wish all wild fans were like you, my friend. I wish your team the best of luck!

• guitarisgood4u - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Respect. I wish all avs fans were more like you, but I know you don’t truly mean that second part, lol.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:05 AM

Also not bad for an 18-year-old: more career playoff overtime goals than Gordie Howe.
      Still 7 behind his boss, that Sakic fellow.

2. mp1131211 - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:51 AM

MacKinnon is awesome. It would have been very interesting if Hertle had stayed healthy this year. I would have liked to see these two compete

• 19to77 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:12 AM

They’re both healthy now with both teams in the playoffs. If the hockey gods are kind it’s possible you’ll get your wish. Long odds, sure, but possible. Man, I’d be ecstatic over a Sharks-Avs playoff round. What a magnificent series that could be. Here’s hoping.

3. canucks30 - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:52 AM

The “experts” were all telling Sakic to draft local boy Seth Jones in 2013.

Instead, they picked the best player the Avs have had since Sakic.

I think they made the right choice.

• mp1131211 - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:00 AM

I believe that Sakic and Roy will go down as not only two of the best players in history but also as a pair of hockey geniuses. These guys have done a stellar job. Funny thing is, I think everyone expected miracles from these guys, but to actual see them happen is still amazing.

4. slickvb82 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:11 AM

Where is that dumbfuk Avscup? I bet he’s actually supporting the officiating in this game. His head is so far up his ars he likes it.

HE WAS OFFSIDES, F THE REFS!!!!!!

• wildguy83 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:31 AM

The refs have been so terrible this whole series for the wild. Extremely biased. Normally I wouldn’t care if the refs are a little off but it is ridiculous and there is video proof of it. The refs decided the game tonight. All I want is a fair game.

• slickvb82 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:54 AM

Exactly. I respect a team that will beat another straight up, but this game was overboard bad. Congrats to the Avs for a strong game, they played well in many ways, but anyone that knows hockey knows how bad this officiating was. It takes so much away from a good game, good series, good rivalry. Just disgusted.

• mackattack29 - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:22 AM

It wasn’t offsides. Look It up in the rule book. It’s a technicality that most people don’t understand unless you’ve played the game for a long time.

• guitarisgood4u - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I don’t think the offsides is even the issue here. I didn’t notice it when it happened, I was busy yelling about Coyle being blatantly held/interfered with seconds before that. If the hold gets called and the offsides doesn’t happen.

But that discussion is for the next article to the right.
        MacKinnon is amazing and I hate it, lol.

• mikedoc315 - Apr 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Yeah he was offsides for sure, and what the hell was with that penalty near the end of the game for getting snow on the goalie. These ref’s should just stand aside and let the teams play

• stevosupremo89 - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:29 AM

He was offsides. No argument. However he didn’t score the goal. The ref didn’t hand Parenteau the puck so the ref didn’t hand the Avs the game. Just sayin

5. 950003cups - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:12 AM

This kid is already looking better than Crosby did. A lot of people were questioning their choice at the #1 pick. Most felt it needed to be Seth Jones. They’re showing how right they were.

He’s a prodigy.

6. 950003cups - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:18 AM

At least Parise scored a goal. That’s a total of $98,000,000 for TWO playoff goals. That’s exactly why they signed him, for the dividends!

• wildguy83 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:34 AM

It’s not all goals and points newbie. Do you even skate bro?

• mp1131211 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:37 AM

That’s what you call butt-hurt. He’s a Devils fan…

• strictlythedanks - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:42 AM

She figure skates. This is the worlds most butt hurt devil fan. Jealousy at its finest.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Apr 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM

His team has been to 20% of all the Stanley Cup Finals in the past 20 years.

Your city is on it’s second franchise, the team hasn’t been relevant since it was coached by Lemaire, misses the playoffs more than it makes them, has only gotten out of the first round once in their franchise’s history and, oh yeah, has won nothing … EVER.

LOL You’re beyond delusional if you think he would have anything to be jealous about.

• 950003cups - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I do skate and play. What does that have to do with it? It all comes down to $$$. For $50,000,000 you cN don’t he little things and help out. For $98,000,000 you have to put the biscuit in the basket. He’s not there to play a support role.

What you fail to realize is that we all told you how good Parise is up until April. He’s not hard for opposing defenses to neutralize in a best of seven.

• stevosupremo89 - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:32 AM

As another Devils fan, I’m not a big fan of this comment. You know as well as anyone how much Parise helped the Devils beyond the stat sheet. Let’s not make our fans sound uneducated because Parise wanted to play in his home. Come on man!

7. LampyB - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Bad officiating is the most common response you hear after every loss in the playoffs.

• guitarisgood4u - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:13 PM

It is, I hate how we sound like a bunch of whiners, cuz we do, but it’s justified.
      I’ve seen more than a few neutral hockey fans agree this game was blown by the refs.

8. vstar1us - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Wow, what a game! I only hope The Lord Jesus Christ can save the Wild! When you are playing against 10 players on the ice every playoff game it is tough.
    Go Wild

9. slaugin - Apr 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I’m torn, I like the Wild’s style and typically root for the underdog when it’s not my team but I really don’t want to see Matt Cooke on the ice for the rest of the playoffs

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Apr 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I hear ya. I originally didn’t care who won. I just love hockey, period.

However, after Cooke’s intent to injure and how it was disgustingly piled on by support from the majority of Wild fans on this forum, I’ll have a big smile on my face when they exit the playoffs either this round or next.

10. luvmnsports2012 - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Wild had plenty of opportunity to win dispite all the bad no calls by the refs! Offside was a terrible no call as well as the holding at the end of regulation that the refs didn’t call! Game should have been over with the Wild winning. Another terrible play was the allowed short handed goal! What a bad turn over by the Wild. Oh well I guess onto game 6! GO WILD!!!

11. edinatherealhockeytownusa - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM

To think there was a debate between jones and mackinnon for the #1 pick. It’s like officials are the draft experts now. Mackinnon is a freak. It’s to bad the league wants to blantantly cheat to give him more National exposure. What’s even more pathetic are the obvious rating fixing going on here lets force overtime, it will spike our ratings! Bettman you are a POS

12. edinatherealhockeytownusa - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I vote to continuously shoot pucks at the officials nuts until they call the game correctly. #the longest yard

13. edinatherealhockeytownusa - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Lets all chant together, 1, 2, 3, Norm Greed Sucks

14. purpleguy - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:44 PM

MacKinnon is an awesome player and he and the Avs took advantage in the overtime game when the Wild didn’t. That offsides call didn’t bug me as much as the interference call on Coyle as he was heading toward the puck and an empty net. Hopefully, there is some hockey justice and there is a game 7 if for no other reason than to test the strength of my coronary system 2 more times.

15. emperorzero - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:22 PM

The officiating has been horrible this series and it has gone both ways, though I will say I think the Avs have been lucky that the bad calls/no calls against them haven’t bitten them in the butt nearly as bad as it has the Wild. There’s been some excellent hockey in this series and unfortunately the fans of both sides have had reason to focus on the officiating instead of good hockey.

• searva - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Oh, it’s bit us in the butt too… Remember game 3? Wild got out of a pretty clear delay of game call lifting it over the glass. Or how about game 4? When Coyle scored on a rebound that deflected off the partition.

No question the Wild played better in both those games but when the score is 0-0 (or potentially 1-1) after 70 mins of hockey anything can happen.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches