Miller timeout: Blackhawks crush Blues in third period, win series 4-2

Apr 27, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT

Fair or not, more than a few people will linger on this fact: the St. Louis Blues have put together strong regular seasons followed by first-round exits for two straight seasons.

The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Blues 5-1 in Game 6 to win the series 4-2 after the Blues took a 2-0 series lead. This contest was the only one that broke from a narrative that bore a downright eerie resemblance to the way St. Louis lost to the Los Angeles Kings in 2013:

Many will bury Ryan Miller for this loss and maybe even this failure overall, and the optics certainly aren’t flattering. The Blues absolutely dominated the second period in particular, yet the third period began tied 1-1 … and then everything fell apart in a big way.

Miller allowed four goals in that final frame, with Jonathan Toews notching another game-winning goal 44 seconds into the third. Patrick Sharp made it 3-1 a little more than two minutes into the third period and then things devolved from there.

The “What if?” questions pile up for the Blues, including the hypothetical situation in which this might have been called a goal:

Special teams may also be a sore spot for St. Louis. The Blues power play went 0-for-6 on Sunday while Chicago went 1-for-2 (and that power-play goal was Toews’ game-winner).

In a way, this highlights the often brutally small line between success and failure in sports. Despite being close to taking the defending champions down – and much closer in this game than the score indicated – the Blues can only look at this season as a failure unless they’re extreme optimists.

As far as the “What’s next?” question, we’ll have to wait and see with the Blues. For the Blackhawks, it’s all about awaiting their second-round opponent as the Colorado Avalanche and Minnesota Wild duke it out.

1. hammerhead5573 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM

A special thank you to all the garbage talkers that made this comment so easy. For example:

Seabrook lost the series for them
    Seabrook needs to gets his clubs shined.
    Series over in 4
    I saw Tweens in Kane Jerseys crying after the game 2 loss – yup that was believable
    Hawks are the dirties team in the NHL
    And my favorite:
    All Hawks fans are Arrogant.
    And by the way Jhaegs, this is what we in real world hockey call “statement game”.

Fun fact: for you idiots. You are 2 – 8 in last 10 playoff games
    Fun fact: To end the season and in the playoofs your team is 2-10

Goodbye you garbage fans. Enjoy watching the playoffs from the sidelines.

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM

– from a Hawks fan

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM

No worries, I respect that. Some of the fans though, not all, absolutely had that coming to them. Some of the same ones you were calling out too.

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM

True, in the heat of the moment I probably let loose more than I normally would. I can’t argue that some may deserve it – just not my style is all I’m saying

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

That’s totally fair and I completely get it. Normally I do not talk that way either. As for my part, it was definitely in the heat of the moment. It was not addressed to all Blues fans. It was addressed to the obvious ones. With that said I respect your opinion.

• sixchr - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Neutral party here, had no preference for either side as I enjoy watching both teams play. At the time, Seabrook cost the Blackhawks game 2 and took away their #2 defenseman for 3 games. Saying Seabrook lost them the series was not a crazy idea. And not for nothing, but doesn’t this comment sort of spew arrogance? You won, move on.

• slysipops - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

if you didn’t read their comments ….stay nuetral……………. one good way to do that !

• ghostof34 - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:06 PM

neutral party let me get this straight…you get on your soapbox to talk about him spewing from his soapbox…damnit, now I have to get down off of my soapbox.

I’d argue Seabrook with his hit, won it for them. Not only did that hit put Backes out, but also it changed the way the games were being reffed and played. The refs talked to both coaches and said no more of that post whistle BS…if the Blues don’t have that to rattle opponents, then the opponent can just play their game, which the Hawks did the last 4 games. Good series, should have been a conference finals…

• esracerx46 - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I second the thumbs down from a Hawks fan. We won a hard fought series that could have gone either way. If the Blues scored on a power play before the third today, I don’t know if the outcome is the same. Lets tip our hats to the Blues who played a hell of a series, and took years off our collective lives. Hawks won the series, lets not pile on and let the results speak for themselves.

• dtownbeatdown - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Why don’t you all go get a room together. Respect bros. It is funny that Blackhawk fans are complaining about Blues fans when Hawks and Chicago sports fans in general are some of thee worst. I mean just look at your comment… Bunch of bias bros.

• esracerx46 - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Hawks fans didn’t put a bounty on any Blues players…..

• SergeantKabukiMan - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I’m confused. Don’t all fans watch the games from the sidelines?

• endusersolutions2013 - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Actually jhaegs, as a repeat Blues trash talker, had it coming.

2. comeonnowguys - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM

What do the Blues and the Titanic have in common? They both look great until they hit the ice.

• guitarisgood4u - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

The Blues usually beat the Wild. The Wild sunk the Titanic on its first voyage.

3. esracerx46 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Wooh! Its a shame that was a first round series, but that’s what they came up with for realignment

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

This was the 12th Stanley Cup playoff series ever to start with a 3OT game, and the Hawks are the first team ever to lose that 3OT opener and come back to win the series.

• endusersolutions2013 - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:23 PM

The re-allignment was dumb – to much concentration of strong and WEAK in conferences. 5 of 7 from the central in the playoffs, several in the EC who did not deserve to be in the playoffs.

League needs to get to 32 teams – 16 each conference, and seed the best 8 teams in each.

Pretty simple.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Enduser, alignment must be based on geography, not which teams are best in a given era. I recall the Oilers and Flames being world beaters for much of the 1980s. Dynasties come and go, while distances between cities stay pretty static.

4. theageofquarrel - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

For all the heart broken Blues fans:

5. prd797 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Goes to show that winning the Trade Deadline doesn’t always work out.

That said, this was a great series, both teams took turns being dynamite, but at the end of it the Hawks shown through.

On to the next round!

• prd797 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM

*shone

6. therealjr - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Definitely a team loss, but Ryan Miller didn’t enhance his value on the free market at all. I wouldn’t put my eggs in his basket at any price.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

With all due respect for a former Vezina winner, aside from success in his conference in college with Michigan State, making the Frozen Four once, I look at his teams in the NAHL, AHL, NHL, World Championships and Olympics and I do not see any championships.

• pudgalvin - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:13 PM

And the rest of the Blues?

7. chiadam - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM

It was not a disallowed goal. It never was called a goal. And the Blues had six power plays before the Hawks got their first. Think about that, not one non-goal that was correctly called a non-goal.

8. hammerhead5573 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Now to the respectful fans. This was an awesome series, I for one an glad it’s over. I hope the are not worn out for the next series. One can only hope Minnesota wins tonight so that they can go 7 games and give the Hawks a break.

9. pitpenguinsrulez - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Remember when St. Louis was suppose to go on a deep run when they got Miller? I do lol.

• sanfranbruinsfan - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Or when Pitt acquired Iginla and Morrow?

10. billiam55 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM

reading a lot of blues fans comments on facebook, all ripping Miller for the loss. And they are Idiots. In fact anyone who blames Miller for the reason they lost this series is an idiot. Unfortunate ending, but the problem the blues had was scoring. Hawks just have so much more scoring depth. Theres a reason why they won the cup last year. But this series was exciting to watch.

11. sjsharks66 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM

“And my favorite:
    All Hawks fans are Arrogant.”

You just proved that point…

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Clearly you didn’t see the comments in the 1st tow games or you glossed over them. Not a surprise though. Trust me I was kind in my comments just now.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM

To be fair, SJS had to wade through a lot of Blomfeld comments at that point, you know, before he mysteriously vanished.

Easy to understand if he missed it.

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM

*two

• blomfeld - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Comeonguys – thanks for proving your own stupidity ! …you goofs accuse me of being on ‘every’ single post here at PHT, which of course is absolute nonsense … and then when I don’t comment for after two lousy games, you same goofs start whining about me ‘vanishing’ from the site … regardless, you and your fish-faced friends from Silicon Valley are now going to ‘get it’ big time ! :)

• comeonnowguys - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Nah.

• blackheart78 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:15 PM

The San Jose Shar(t)s!

12. jpat2424 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Handshakes 👋👋👋👋to Blues fans. Guess it’s time for you to load up on toasted Ravioli’s !!

• jhaegs - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I’m down for that… Maybe a couple (dozen) AB products to drown the pain too.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Alright people, jhaegs has officially killed her narrative.

Enjoy the Cardinals. Better luck next year.

• jhaegs - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Thanks. Enjoy the…. Cubs? :)

• comeonnowguys - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Cardinals are a silver lining. Cubs are self – flagellation.

13. blackheart78 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Until the St. Louis Blues as well as some other teams realize that you have to SCORE to win playoff games it’s always going to be a short postseason.

14. jhaegs - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Great series, Hawks. May not have won, but some of the games I went to were the best I’ve seen. Good luck to CHI for the rest of their playoffs.

Is it Jake Allen time yet?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I am looking forward to not needing an EKG every other night.

15. stevedurbano - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Anyone with any sense knew the Hawks would come out on top after the Blues lost in game 5. Best of luck to the Hawks, bye bye Ryan Miller, and let the Jake Allen era begin,,,,,,

16. earpaniac - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM

The end of the game was a blowout, but this was a really great series. I always thought the Hawks would win, but those first 2 games really tested my faith. Lol. The Blues have a collection of really good players, but no GREAT players. The Hawks have 2 for sure, 4 depending on your judgement. And great will, 95% of the time, beat really good.

17. r8rbhawk - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I could write a post to call out certain posters who said the Hawks would be on the golf course next week, but I won’t. Great series that really could have gone either way. Just shows the depth of the team when Seabs is suspended for 3 games and Sharp only scored his first goal today. Also this series proved the Hawks can play any style and still have the stones to battle though adversity. Looking forward to the next round. Lastly, props to the Blues on a good series and for not gooning it up in the last minute when the game/series was already decided. I was pleasantly surprised.

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Now THAT’S a Hawks fan

18. earpaniac - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Also, big props to Sheldon Brookbank, who filled in admirably for Seabrook when he was out. Many thought the series was over, but Brookbank was an unsung hero in this series.

19. earpaniac - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM

And as r8rhawk said, props to the Blues for playing the rest of the 3rd classy. That thought crossed my mind when it got to be a 3-4 goal lead.

20. jpat2424 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Somebody please tell Backes the series is over.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I am the leader of the Backes Is Dirty parade, but that is still not cool.

• slysipops - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM

i second that motion !

21. triaxfusion - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

This was my first year having any interest in hockey and went to my first Blues game. Its a great experience. Congrats to the hawks and their fans.

• slysipops - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM

thank you ………… from a long time HAWKS FAN !!

22. steelcity333 - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

St. Louis is a very good team, they just don’t have that killer instinct to put a team away. Won the first two games and then two of the next three went to overtime and they were unable to win either one. Can’t give the defending champs too many chances or else they will bury you.

23. slysipops - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:35 PM

glad this series is over . health concerns .mine and the BLACKHAWKS ! when i woke up this morning i had eye floaters….. i’ve never had them before, my wife said quit getting so wound up over them darn HAWKS ! reply .never ! GO HAWKS GO !!!

24. getoffmysac - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Miller has always been a choker always will be. Name 1 ” signature” win.. You can’t. Overhyped average goalie

25. slysipops - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM

i really think a major change to this series came when the off ice and the on ice officials put and end to the mayhem. the HAWKS were able to concentrate on playing their game and the tides shifted their way after that ! GO HAWKS GO !

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1313)
  2. S. Crosby (1291)
  3. P. Rinne (1147)
  4. N. Niederreiter (1147)
  5. D. Kuemper (1089)