Apr 27, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Mason stopped just 18 of 21 shots and that’s not including the break he arguably caught when a fast whistle spared him from conceding another goal.
Vincent Lecavalier got Philadelphia on the board with just 33 seconds remaining in the second period.
Claude Giroux netted his first goal of the playoffs to narrow the lead to one, but only 1:29 minutes remained in the contest. If nothing else, that goal prevented Ricahrds from getting his second game-winner of the series. The Rangers forward set the NHL record for the most game-winning goals in a single postseason with seven when he was with the Tampa Bay Lightning during their 2004 Stanley Cup run.
St. Louis also picked up an assist for the Rangers, which means that three of the main contributors for that 2004 Lightning squad finish the game with a point for the first time in this series.
Rangers forward Brian Boyle collected the empty netter to squash the Flyers’ comeback.
New York now has a 3-2 series lead. Game 6 will be played in Philadelphia on Tuesday.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 9
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)