Apr 27, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars seem like they might be building something promising with new management and new uniforms. If you believe in the adage that “You have to learn to lose before you learn to win,” then Sunday’s stunning Game 6 loss may teach many lessons.
After chasing Frederik Andersen to build a 4-2 lead and maintaining that margin for much of the third period, the Stars seemingly built a comfortable lead. That fell apart following a stunning series of events that felt a little bit like a (far) lower stakes version of the Chicago Blackhawks twisting a potential Game 7 showdown into a surprising Stanley Cup win in Game 6 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final.
First, Nick Bonino made it 4-3 with two minutes and 10 seconds remaining:
That made things nervous for the Stars, but the Ducks really poured on the pressure late in the third period. After some close calls, Devante Smith-Pelly scored his second goal of the game with 24 seconds left to send this one to overtime:
Finally, Nick Bonino scored just 2:47 into overtime to end the game at 5-4 and close out the series for Anaheim at 4-2.
The Ducks faced ups and downs, yet these are the kind of wins that teams build deep runs on. If nothing else, it softened concerns about Anaheim falling short of expectations in the first round (they fell to Detroit in seven games last year). Bruce Boudreau may have questions in net between Jonas Hiller (perfect in relief) and Frederik Andersen (usurped Hiller late in the year but has been pulled twice in the postseason), yet he’s probably not too bothered by that question right now.
The Stars might have some positives to point to – the crowd in Dallas was buzzing after years of complacency, Tyler Seguin‘s fantastic first year – but there’s no denying this must burn.
May 4, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT
“If it means allowing players to go to free agency, if it means making players sweat it out on what their deal’s going to be, he’s the priority for us.”
May 4, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Virtanen was the sixth overall pick in the 2014 draft.
May 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Jets’ AHL team will play at the MTS Centre next season.
May 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
He’s hoping to “find a way to get a bigger role.”
May 4, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
“Prust has engaged himself in something that’s going to take him into an area where he doesn’t want to be part of.”
May 4, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
So says Bruce Boudreau.
May 4, 2015, 11:07 AM EDT
Trevor Lewis put the Americans out to an early advantage.
May 4, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Former Minnesota farmhand is on his way to Frolunda.
May 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Could play on Wednesday against Russia.
May 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Game 3 between the Rangers and Capitals is the lone game on the schedule.
May 4, 2015, 8:05 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 4, 2015, 1:04 AM EDT
The last team to open the playoffs with at least six straight wins was Pittsburgh in 2008.
May 4, 2015, 12:18 AM EDT
He’ll be looking for the Wild to do better mentally at home.
May 3, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
There are three contests scheduled for Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 11:36 PM EDT
He seemed initially dazed, but stayed in the game.
May 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago now has a 2-0 series lead.
May 3, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk had some bad luck on this one.
May 3, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
“He tries to play God. He tries to control the game and he did that tonight.”
May 3, 2015, 9:14 PM EDT
Prust and Bishop have a history.
May 3, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
The series will now return to Tampa Bay where the Lightning were 32-8-1 in the regular season.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 5
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 36
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 25
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)