Apr 27, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars seem like they might be building something promising with new management and new uniforms. If you believe in the adage that “You have to learn to lose before you learn to win,” then Sunday’s stunning Game 6 loss may teach many lessons.
After chasing Frederik Andersen to build a 4-2 lead and maintaining that margin for much of the third period, the Stars seemingly built a comfortable lead. That fell apart following a stunning series of events that felt a little bit like a (far) lower stakes version of the Chicago Blackhawks twisting a potential Game 7 showdown into a surprising Stanley Cup win in Game 6 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final.
First, Nick Bonino made it 4-3 with two minutes and 10 seconds remaining:
That made things nervous for the Stars, but the Ducks really poured on the pressure late in the third period. After some close calls, Devante Smith-Pelly scored his second goal of the game with 24 seconds left to send this one to overtime:
Finally, Nick Bonino scored just 2:47 into overtime to end the game at 5-4 and close out the series for Anaheim at 4-2.
The Ducks faced ups and downs, yet these are the kind of wins that teams build deep runs on. If nothing else, it softened concerns about Anaheim falling short of expectations in the first round (they fell to Detroit in seven games last year). Bruce Boudreau may have questions in net between Jonas Hiller (perfect in relief) and Frederik Andersen (usurped Hiller late in the year but has been pulled twice in the postseason), yet he’s probably not too bothered by that question right now.
The Stars might have some positives to point to – the crowd in Dallas was buzzing after years of complacency, Tyler Seguin‘s fantastic first year – but there’s no denying this must burn.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)