Apr 27, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
A lot can change in the next period (and change), but so far, the narrative indicates that the home team has been dominant in the Anaheim Ducks – Dallas Stars first-round series. That disparity might be best shown in Frederik Andersen‘s last few starts.
Andersen stopped 34 out of 36 shots to give the Ducks a 3-2 series lead in Anaheim. That’s a nice performance, but it’s now sandwiched between two games in Dallas in which the rookie goaltender has been pulled.
It happened in Game 4 and now a little more than halfway through Game 6, as a second sensational Trevor Daley goal sent Andersen packing. It’s difficult to argue with Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau’s decision on Sunday, in particular, as he allowed four goals on just 12 shots.
Trevor Daley’s second goal ultimately was the last straw:
Andersen was able to maintain control of the Ducks’ goalie position after the last time he was pulled, but the question is: if this series goes to a Game 7, would it be Jonas Hiller or Andersen?
There’s plenty of time for the Ducks to make that a discussion for the second round instead of a decisive Game 7, but right now it feels like that could be a serious question.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)