Apr 26, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
On a day when there four Stanley Cup playoff games dominating the Saturday schedule, there was big news from the Washington Capitals, and naturally it grabbed the attention of those in the hockey world.
The Capitals fired head coach Adam Oates and will not renew the contract of general manager George McPhee.
Bruce Boudreau, the head coach of the Anaheim Ducks, spoke on the matter Saturday. He, of course, worked as the bench boss of the Capitals beginning on 2007, with his tenure ending in 2011. In three of those five seasons, the Capitals had 100 points or more in the Eastern Conference standings.
“It’s not a surprise because everybody’s been talking about it,” Boudreau said Saturday, as per the L.A. Times. “I think George is a great GM and he’ll jump right back into it. Just sometimes, people need different spots.
“But he’s I think a truly, really, really good GM so I know he’s going to bounce back. I don’t know Adam at all. But I thought one went with the other. . . . It’s interesting to me now, is who’s next there.”
Already, names have been thrown out there as possible candidates to replace McPhee, who had been in the Capitals organization since 1997.
While speculation of possible replacements is now beginning to fly around, so, too is the blame for what happened in Washington after missing the playoffs this season. Needless to say, Alex Ovechkin, Washington’s star and captain, and the only 50-goal scorer in the NHL this season, is taking a great deal of criticism (see the video below…).
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12