Video: Tempers flare near end of Anaheim-Dallas blowout

Apr 26, 2014, 1:46 AM EDT

Shortly after Corey Perry scored to make it 6-2 on Friday night — which would end up being the final score in Anaheim’s Game 5 win over Dallas — things boiled over between the Stars and Ducks.

The two teams, who have shown a healthy dislike for one another throughout this series, combined to rack up 60 penalty minutes in this wild sequence:

The penalty breakdown, in case you were curious:

source:

The ugliness wasn’t isolated to the third-period dust-up. Midway through the first period, Ryan Garbutt was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for spearing Perry:

Garbutt offered up this explanation following the game…

1. patthehockeyfan - Apr 26, 2014 at 7:49 AM

“The two teams, who have shown a healthy dislike for one another … ”

Thanks, Halford, for coming up with another way of saying, “These teams don’t like each other.”

By the way, and not to pick it apart, what constitutes an unhealthy dislike for one another?

• jcmeyer10 - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM

More like pattheballbuster. Did Halford sleep with your mum or something.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 26, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Jeez. Who pee’d on your cornflakes this morning?

I don’t recall seeing your name before; so, I assume you’re a new commenter here on PHT. If you had seen prior comments of mine, you would have seen that several of them have been about semantics. Mike Halford, and perhaps other PHT bloggers, can attest to that.

As a fan of the written word, I occasionally remark about a phrase. At least one of my prior comments has been about the phrase, “These teams don’t like each other,” which, due to its overuse, has become trite and a cliche. I’ve asked, which teams do?

My comment thanking Halford was sincere. It was good (and refreshing) to see the rephrasing.

As to my question about an unhealthy dislike, the commenter below (wishingtonredslur) answered it.

P.S. To answer your question, my mum is dead; so, no, Halford didn’t sleep with her. And, I’m definitely not going further with that remark. :)

• jimeejohnson - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Semantics have no place in hockey. Go to Tennis Talk. Sorry bout your Mom.

• areaman714 - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Patt. As a fan of the written word, was everything “spelt” correctly?

2. wishingtonredslur - Apr 26, 2014 at 8:45 AM

“What constitutes a healthy dislike for one another?”

Spearing a man in the nuts.

Why he didn’t use “unhealthy” to give their dislike for one another that extra level a bile is beyond me.

• lindenfrank123 - Apr 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM

this is what is KILLING HOCKEY….and thankyou for promoting this…NOT….I feel in love in ’68 with the game of HOCKEY not a damned FIGHT….everytime it happens it SLOWS THE GAME DOWN/know try and tell me THAT DOESN’T HAPPEN….and you appologists just DON’T GET IT…you are all so dumb and blind…HOCKEY WILL NEVER GET OVER ITSELF…IT KEEPS ON ‘shooting itself” in it’s own foot….YOU GUYS WHO LOVE THIS? GO WATCH BOXING

3. jpat2424 - Apr 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM

What a faker.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Says the castrated guy.

4. Wineshard - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Benn should have lay motionless on the ice for a few minutes when Perry speared him I guess. Perry acts like a soccer player sometimes – hard to respect the guy.

• areaman714 - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Perry is a superstar who is also a talented agitator. He will fight, admittedly not very well when called upon. You’d like e him if he were on your favorite team.

5. isphet71 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Spearing the nuts is barely even frowned upon in the NHL. Just ask Lucic. Token fine in the most blatant, repeat offense.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches