Apr 26, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Fair or not, people tend to slam stars when their teams struggle and they don’t score goals.
Sidney Crosby‘s feeling that right now, even though he’s notching assists for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Rick Nash finds himself in that predicament once again, especially when you get selective with his numbers: just one goal in 16 playoff games with the New York Rangers.
Sure, he has four assist in the first four games of this series but … zero goals.
Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault told ESPN that he doesn’t doubt Nash’s efforts.
“Rick really wants to do well and he’s trying every shift he’s on the ice to put his best foot forward,” Vigneault said on Saturday. “It’s a tough league. The opposition, when you have an elite player like that, obviously has a plan. He’s got to keep working. He’s got to try to elevate his game. He knows he’s a big part of us having success, winning games and moving forward.”
“The one thing I don’t have doubt about him is his willingness.”
It’s difficult to bury him when you look at shots alone. He’s fired at least five shots on goal in every game this series (23 overall), even if there might be some doubts about the quality of those attempts. The 29-year-old was similarly snake-bitten in the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs, only connecting for one goal despite firing 42 shots on goal in 12 games. Overall, his playoff shooting percentage is just 2.6 versus his career regular season mark of 12.4.
To some, that might be a sign that he can’t get it done in the postseason. Others might say he’s mostly unlucky. Either way, the judgments will only get harsher if the Rangers can’t win this tied series against the Philadelphia Flyers.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)