Apr 26, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Fair or not, people tend to slam stars when their teams struggle and they don’t score goals.
Sidney Crosby‘s feeling that right now, even though he’s notching assists for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Rick Nash finds himself in that predicament once again, especially when you get selective with his numbers: just one goal in 16 playoff games with the New York Rangers.
Sure, he has four assist in the first four games of this series but … zero goals.
Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault told ESPN that he doesn’t doubt Nash’s efforts.
“Rick really wants to do well and he’s trying every shift he’s on the ice to put his best foot forward,” Vigneault said on Saturday. “It’s a tough league. The opposition, when you have an elite player like that, obviously has a plan. He’s got to keep working. He’s got to try to elevate his game. He knows he’s a big part of us having success, winning games and moving forward.”
“The one thing I don’t have doubt about him is his willingness.”
It’s difficult to bury him when you look at shots alone. He’s fired at least five shots on goal in every game this series (23 overall), even if there might be some doubts about the quality of those attempts. The 29-year-old was similarly snake-bitten in the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs, only connecting for one goal despite firing 42 shots on goal in 12 games. Overall, his playoff shooting percentage is just 2.6 versus his career regular season mark of 12.4.
To some, that might be a sign that he can’t get it done in the postseason. Others might say he’s mostly unlucky. Either way, the judgments will only get harsher if the Rangers can’t win this tied series against the Philadelphia Flyers.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)