Apr 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Despite carrying play for most of Game 5, the Pittsburgh Penguins were forced to grind things out against the Columbus Blue Jackets with a 3-1 win, grabbing a 3-2 series lead in the process.
Sergei Bobrovsky kept the Blue Jackets in the game even as his team was regularly facing a barrage of Penguins shots.
Through two periods, Pittsburgh generated a 36-17 shot advantage and that didn’t slow down in the third period. Jussi Jokinen eventually broke free to give the Pens a 2-1 lead.
The breathless coverage might bury Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin – Penguins fans even went as far as to boo Crosby when Pittsburgh was down by a goal – yet both created chances. Crosby was particularly active in firing six shots on goal and getting an assist. Even so, Dan Bylsma experimented a bit with Malkin and Crosby together at even-strength, which is still a fairly rare sight.
Overall, the Penguins fired a ridiculous 50 shots on Bobrovsky (plus an empty-net goal) compared to the Blue Jackets’ 24. Marc-Andre Fleury didn’t face the busiest of nights, yet he must be relieved to get the win and only allowed one goal. (He also received an ovation from the fans in Pittsburgh).
Columbus actually generated a 1-0 lead in this game, so if you’re really sticking to a “no lead is safe” narrative, you can hang your hat on that.
The bigger story might be that the Penguins persevered but the Blue Jackets seem determined to make this a fight. The series shifts back to Columbus for Game 6 on Monday.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
They’ve also inked UFA Jordan Caron.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a one-year, two-way deal.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Washington continues to load up.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 27-year-old is looking forward to a fresh start in Pittsburgh.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT
Acquired from Toronto at last year’s trade deadline.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 PM EDT
Pleads no contest to misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Boughner coached against DeBoer in the OHL, Hedberg played for him in New Jersey.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:02 PM EDT
The Mike Gillis era is just a memory now.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Former Hart Trophy winner announced his retirement on Thursday.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh? Florida? New Jersey? KHL?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)