Apr 26, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins finished off one Original Six team and now they’ll prepare to face another, more familiar one in the next round.
The Bruins finished off the Detroit Red Wings with a 4-2 victory in Game 5. Zdeno Chara‘s power play goal with four seconds left in the second period put the Bruins ahead to stay. Milan Lucic‘s third goal of the series 4:27 into the third period put the game on ice and helped the Bruins advance in five games.
Henrik Zetterberg‘s first goal of the series made it 3-2 with 3:52 to play, but a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty 48 seconds later to Detroit helped seal the Red Wings’ fate. Jarome Iginla added an empty-net goal
Tuukka Rask ended the game with 31 saves and proved to frustrate the Red Wings even when Detroit was able to generate sustained offense. In the end, however, it was the lack of a penalty kill that ended the Red Wings.
The Bruins went 2-for-5 on the power play getting goals from Loui Eriksson in the first period and Chara in the second.
Detroit’s first goal came on the power play in the second period when Pavel Datsyuk put a rebound past Rask. Detroit’s best opportunities came with the man-advantage which says a lot about how well the Bruins played throughout the game.
From the get-go, Boston seemed to be in a different gear and a lot of the puck-luck that went against Eriksson in Game 4 was corrected in Game 5.
Boston moves on to the Atlantic Division Final where they’ll face their archrivals — the Montreal Canadiens. It’ll be the 34th time the two have met in the playoffs.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)