Apr 26, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins finished off one Original Six team and now they’ll prepare to face another, more familiar one in the next round.
The Bruins finished off the Detroit Red Wings with a 4-2 victory in Game 5. Zdeno Chara‘s power play goal with four seconds left in the second period put the Bruins ahead to stay. Milan Lucic‘s third goal of the series 4:27 into the third period put the game on ice and helped the Bruins advance in five games.
Henrik Zetterberg‘s first goal of the series made it 3-2 with 3:52 to play, but a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty 48 seconds later to Detroit helped seal the Red Wings’ fate. Jarome Iginla added an empty-net goal
Tuukka Rask ended the game with 31 saves and proved to frustrate the Red Wings even when Detroit was able to generate sustained offense. In the end, however, it was the lack of a penalty kill that ended the Red Wings.
The Bruins went 2-for-5 on the power play getting goals from Loui Eriksson in the first period and Chara in the second.
Detroit’s first goal came on the power play in the second period when Pavel Datsyuk put a rebound past Rask. Detroit’s best opportunities came with the man-advantage which says a lot about how well the Bruins played throughout the game.
From the get-go, Boston seemed to be in a different gear and a lot of the puck-luck that went against Eriksson in Game 4 was corrected in Game 5.
Boston moves on to the Atlantic Division Final where they’ll face their archrivals — the Montreal Canadiens. It’ll be the 34th time the two have met in the playoffs.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22