Apr 26, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson‘s first season with the Detroit Red Wings ended on Saturday with mixed results; we’ll have to wait and see if he’ll get another crack at it.
He told reporters that he isn’t sure if this will be his last season in the NHL, but if he’s back, he made this clear: he’ll likely do so in a Red Wings uniform.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock backed up Alfredsson’s assertion that he’ll need more time, noting the importance of health for veteran players.
The 41-year-old played well when he could during the regular season, managing to score 18 goals and 49 points in 68 games. Perhaps injuries (and the Boston Bruins defense) really caught up with him during the postseason, however, as he was held pointless and limited to three games.
Babcock spoke of big changes after the Red Wings were ousted, yet he also praised the team’s veteran players, so it’s difficult to tell if Alfresson would call his shot regarding returning to Detroit (if he doesn’t retire). If nothing else, it seems like Alfredsson enjoyed at least one season with many fellow Swedes in “Hockeytown.”
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 5
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 7
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 47
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)