Apr 26, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson‘s first season with the Detroit Red Wings ended on Saturday with mixed results; we’ll have to wait and see if he’ll get another crack at it.
He told reporters that he isn’t sure if this will be his last season in the NHL, but if he’s back, he made this clear: he’ll likely do so in a Red Wings uniform.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock backed up Alfredsson’s assertion that he’ll need more time, noting the importance of health for veteran players.
The 41-year-old played well when he could during the regular season, managing to score 18 goals and 49 points in 68 games. Perhaps injuries (and the Boston Bruins defense) really caught up with him during the postseason, however, as he was held pointless and limited to three games.
Babcock spoke of big changes after the Red Wings were ousted, yet he also praised the team’s veteran players, so it’s difficult to tell if Alfresson would call his shot regarding returning to Detroit (if he doesn’t retire). If nothing else, it seems like Alfredsson enjoyed at least one season with many fellow Swedes in “Hockeytown.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)