Apr 26, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson‘s first season with the Detroit Red Wings ended on Saturday with mixed results; we’ll have to wait and see if he’ll get another crack at it.
He told reporters that he isn’t sure if this will be his last season in the NHL, but if he’s back, he made this clear: he’ll likely do so in a Red Wings uniform.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock backed up Alfredsson’s assertion that he’ll need more time, noting the importance of health for veteran players.
The 41-year-old played well when he could during the regular season, managing to score 18 goals and 49 points in 68 games. Perhaps injuries (and the Boston Bruins defense) really caught up with him during the postseason, however, as he was held pointless and limited to three games.
Babcock spoke of big changes after the Red Wings were ousted, yet he also praised the team’s veteran players, so it’s difficult to tell if Alfresson would call his shot regarding returning to Detroit (if he doesn’t retire). If nothing else, it seems like Alfredsson enjoyed at least one season with many fellow Swedes in “Hockeytown.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)