Apr 26, 2014, 7:16 PM EST
Daniel Alfredsson‘s first season with the Detroit Red Wings ended on Saturday with mixed results; we’ll have to wait and see if he’ll get another crack at it.
He told reporters that he isn’t sure if this will be his last season in the NHL, but if he’s back, he made this clear: he’ll likely do so in a Red Wings uniform.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock backed up Alfredsson’s assertion that he’ll need more time, noting the importance of health for veteran players.
The 41-year-old played well when he could during the regular season, managing to score 18 goals and 49 points in 68 games. Perhaps injuries (and the Boston Bruins defense) really caught up with him during the postseason, however, as he was held pointless and limited to three games.
Babcock spoke of big changes after the Red Wings were ousted, yet he also praised the team’s veteran players, so it’s difficult to tell if Alfresson would call his shot regarding returning to Detroit (if he doesn’t retire). If nothing else, it seems like Alfredsson enjoyed at least one season with many fellow Swedes in “Hockeytown.”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)