Apr 26, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson‘s first season with the Detroit Red Wings ended on Saturday with mixed results; we’ll have to wait and see if he’ll get another crack at it.
He told reporters that he isn’t sure if this will be his last season in the NHL, but if he’s back, he made this clear: he’ll likely do so in a Red Wings uniform.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock backed up Alfredsson’s assertion that he’ll need more time, noting the importance of health for veteran players.
The 41-year-old played well when he could during the regular season, managing to score 18 goals and 49 points in 68 games. Perhaps injuries (and the Boston Bruins defense) really caught up with him during the postseason, however, as he was held pointless and limited to three games.
Babcock spoke of big changes after the Red Wings were ousted, yet he also praised the team’s veteran players, so it’s difficult to tell if Alfresson would call his shot regarding returning to Detroit (if he doesn’t retire). If nothing else, it seems like Alfredsson enjoyed at least one season with many fellow Swedes in “Hockeytown.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)