Apr 26, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
According to reporters at Philly practice this morning, it looks like Hal Gill will take Grossmann’s place for Game 5. Gill was paired with Mark Streit, Grossmann’s usual spot, during practice and is rested and ready to join the fray if called upon.
If Gill plays, as Adam Kimelman of NHL.com shared, it’ll be his first playoff game since May 17, 2012 when he suited up for the Nashville Predators against the Phoenix Coyotes. Gill played in just six games this season.
As for why Gill gets the call, Dave Isaac of the Courier-Post shares Flyers coach Craig Berube’s logic for that decision is that he likes having a puck-moving defenseman with a stay-at-home guy. Gill fits the bill as the latter to the mobile Streit. For that reason, Erik Gustafsson would likely stay as the odd man out.
Game 5 between the Flyers and the New York Rangers is Sunday at noon ET on NBC from Madison Square Garden.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8