Apr 26, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
For more entries in this series, click here.
It was a valiant effort, but the Detroit Red Wings are done in the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Bruins fans won’t like this as it’ll sound like excuse-making, but health was a problem for Detroit all season. A less-than healthy Henrik Zetterberg tried to give them a spark in this series, but all season they had to deal with a host of guys being hurt. Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Jonathan Ericsson, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen. Just a laundry list of pain that almost forced Detroit to miss the playoffs.
- It may sound nuts that depth was a problem for Detroit considering the injuries, but losing Ericsson made the Red Wings blue line dreadfully thin. The forward depth kept them going all season, but one key injury on the blue line proved to be a major problem late in the season and playoffs.
- As great as Gustav Nyquist was in the regular season, he was silent against Boston. That said, the progress he made this season in establishing himself is something for Mike Babcock and Ken Holland to be excited about. He along with Tomas Tatar and Riley Sheahan showed that Detroit’s forward pipeline is still working fine.
- As for Franzen, one offseason question for the Wings might center around what to do with him. His injury issues and streaky production have to be a concern to the front office and with compliance buyouts still possible this summer, it’s a question that might be worth throwing around in Detroit. Franzen has a $3.954 million cap hit through 2020.
- Series-centric: Detroit’s penalty kill was less-than good against Boston. The Bruins power play was good, but are they that good? Either way, Detroit’s PK failed them when they needed to be great.
- It may have been a fight for Detroit to make it to the playoffs, but you have to wonder if maybe they’re cursing themselves out for not finding a way to scrape together an extra point or two so they could’ve wound up in Pittsburgh instead of Boston. Que sera sera.
- With the success the young players had this season for Detroit, a lot of the old jokes might get put on the shelf for a while next season.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Terrible luck for the 22-year-old rookie d-man.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Club addressed the domestic assault charges in a brief statement Monday.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Johan Franzen has been placed on IR.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Lots of questions being asked in Winnipeg.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)