Apr 26, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
For more entries in this series, click here.
It was a valiant effort, but the Detroit Red Wings are done in the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Bruins fans won’t like this as it’ll sound like excuse-making, but health was a problem for Detroit all season. A less-than healthy Henrik Zetterberg tried to give them a spark in this series, but all season they had to deal with a host of guys being hurt. Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Jonathan Ericsson, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen. Just a laundry list of pain that almost forced Detroit to miss the playoffs.
- It may sound nuts that depth was a problem for Detroit considering the injuries, but losing Ericsson made the Red Wings blue line dreadfully thin. The forward depth kept them going all season, but one key injury on the blue line proved to be a major problem late in the season and playoffs.
- As great as Gustav Nyquist was in the regular season, he was silent against Boston. That said, the progress he made this season in establishing himself is something for Mike Babcock and Ken Holland to be excited about. He along with Tomas Tatar and Riley Sheahan showed that Detroit’s forward pipeline is still working fine.
- As for Franzen, one offseason question for the Wings might center around what to do with him. His injury issues and streaky production have to be a concern to the front office and with compliance buyouts still possible this summer, it’s a question that might be worth throwing around in Detroit. Franzen has a $3.954 million cap hit through 2020.
- Series-centric: Detroit’s penalty kill was less-than good against Boston. The Bruins power play was good, but are they that good? Either way, Detroit’s PK failed them when they needed to be great.
- It may have been a fight for Detroit to make it to the playoffs, but you have to wonder if maybe they’re cursing themselves out for not finding a way to scrape together an extra point or two so they could’ve wound up in Pittsburgh instead of Boston. Que sera sera.
- With the success the young players had this season for Detroit, a lot of the old jokes might get put on the shelf for a while next season.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Pullar Stadium and War Memorial Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Decatur and St. Michael-Albertville.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)