Apr 26, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
For more entries in this series, click here.
It was a valiant effort, but the Detroit Red Wings are done in the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Bruins fans won’t like this as it’ll sound like excuse-making, but health was a problem for Detroit all season. A less-than healthy Henrik Zetterberg tried to give them a spark in this series, but all season they had to deal with a host of guys being hurt. Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Jonathan Ericsson, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen. Just a laundry list of pain that almost forced Detroit to miss the playoffs.
- It may sound nuts that depth was a problem for Detroit considering the injuries, but losing Ericsson made the Red Wings blue line dreadfully thin. The forward depth kept them going all season, but one key injury on the blue line proved to be a major problem late in the season and playoffs.
- As great as Gustav Nyquist was in the regular season, he was silent against Boston. That said, the progress he made this season in establishing himself is something for Mike Babcock and Ken Holland to be excited about. He along with Tomas Tatar and Riley Sheahan showed that Detroit’s forward pipeline is still working fine.
- As for Franzen, one offseason question for the Wings might center around what to do with him. His injury issues and streaky production have to be a concern to the front office and with compliance buyouts still possible this summer, it’s a question that might be worth throwing around in Detroit. Franzen has a $3.954 million cap hit through 2020.
- Series-centric: Detroit’s penalty kill was less-than good against Boston. The Bruins power play was good, but are they that good? Either way, Detroit’s PK failed them when they needed to be great.
- It may have been a fight for Detroit to make it to the playoffs, but you have to wonder if maybe they’re cursing themselves out for not finding a way to scrape together an extra point or two so they could’ve wound up in Pittsburgh instead of Boston. Que sera sera.
- With the success the young players had this season for Detroit, a lot of the old jokes might get put on the shelf for a while next season.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Easy to see why.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Edmonton wants to assess Leon Draisaitl, it seems.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
Sixteen of their first 21 games are on the road.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Part two of today’s Labor Day posts.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Part one of two Labor Day “theme” posts.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
The new Penguins bench boss previously coached the young defenseman.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
The 25-year-old has been fighting for playing time since he broke into the NHL.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
He might pick an opening game starter after that, but the battle for the top spot is likely to extend into the season.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Will they have contracts by the start of the season?
Sep 1, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Last season’s experiment ended with Penner being traded.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 31, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
He continued to follow their summer moves after he was fired.
Aug 31, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
The late creator of Peanuts was a big hockey fan.
Aug 31, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
The Colorado defenseman is still a restricted free agent.
Aug 31, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
“I think that would make it a little more equitable for match-ups.”
Aug 31, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
He spent the 2013-14 campaign in the KHL.
Aug 31, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
He served as an assistant general manager in Los Angeles before coming to Philadelphia.
Aug 31, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
After matching a career-low in goals during the 2013-14 season, he’s hoping for big things with the Coyotes.
Aug 31, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Add depth to blue line in Albany.
Aug 31, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Hopes to play in the NHL in 2014-15.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6