Apr 25, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Shortly after, Habs head coach Michel Therrien set about discussing who didn’t make the cut — his goalie, Carey Price.
“I’m surprised and disappointed for Carey,” Therrien said, per TSN. “In my opinion he should’ve been there.”
Price finished the year with a 34-20-5 record, .927 save percentage, 2.32 GAA and six shutouts, second-most in the NHL. Great numbers, which makes it seem like Price’s exclusion was more about what the finalists did rather than what he didn’t. Bishop and Varlamov could’ve warranted MVP consideration given how crucial they were to their teams’ success this season, and Rask was the only goalie in the league to finish top-five in all the major statistical categories.
That said, one does have to wonder when Price will break through. He’s never finished higher than fifth in Vezina voting — that happened in 2010, when he led the NHL with 38 wins — and he’s now lumped in with an up-and-coming class of relatively young goalies that are all first-time nominees: Rask and Bishop are the oldest of the group, having both turned 27 this season, while Price is 26 and Varlamov is 25.
Don’t forget that last year’s Vezina winner, Sergei Bobrovsky, is only 25 as well.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)