Apr 25, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Shortly after, Habs head coach Michel Therrien set about discussing who didn’t make the cut — his goalie, Carey Price.
“I’m surprised and disappointed for Carey,” Therrien said, per TSN. “In my opinion he should’ve been there.”
Price finished the year with a 34-20-5 record, .927 save percentage, 2.32 GAA and six shutouts, second-most in the NHL. Great numbers, which makes it seem like Price’s exclusion was more about what the finalists did rather than what he didn’t. Bishop and Varlamov could’ve warranted MVP consideration given how crucial they were to their teams’ success this season, and Rask was the only goalie in the league to finish top-five in all the major statistical categories.
That said, one does have to wonder when Price will break through. He’s never finished higher than fifth in Vezina voting — that happened in 2010, when he led the NHL with 38 wins — and he’s now lumped in with an up-and-coming class of relatively young goalies that are all first-time nominees: Rask and Bishop are the oldest of the group, having both turned 27 this season, while Price is 26 and Varlamov is 25.
Don’t forget that last year’s Vezina winner, Sergei Bobrovsky, is only 25 as well.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 10
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 3
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)