Roy: Time for Avs to ‘put our [rhymes with walls] on the table’

Apr 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

After blowing a 2-0 series lead and scoring just one goal over the last 150 minutes, the Colorado Avalanche are facing their biggest challenge of the season.

Just ask Patrick Roy:

Colorful phrasing aside, now really is time for the Avs to show what they’re made of. On paper, a pair of one-goal losses in Minnesota — one which came in OT — are acceptable, but those sort of mask Colorado’s alarming shot total issue.

The Avs only managed to fire 34 on Darcy Kuemper in the two games at Xcel, including a mere 12 in Thursday’s 2-1 loss. That’s the fewest from any game this postseason and the fewest in any playoff game since Calgary registered 10 against San Jose in Game 4 of the first round in 2008.

Stunningly, Colorado only produced eight shots at even strength last night.

As Brough wrote earlier this morning, Roy’s now facing his biggest challenge as an NHL head coach. Key injuries to Tyson Barrie, Matt Duchene and John Mitchell have whittled away his depth and ability to shake things up via roster moves; Thursday’s insertion of Joey Hishon on the power play had minimal impact, as the Avs continued to struggle with the man advantage (now 1-for-15 this series) and Hishon finished with just 6:31 TOI all told.

Roy’s move now, it seems, is to provide a spark with his words. We’ll see how that turns out.

1. strictlythedanks - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Quenneville would be glad to show the Avs players what Roys talking about

• thailer35 - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Best comment of the month.

2. hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM

While this quote is nothing short of magical, I fail to see how anyone putting their balls on the table, any table, is going to help. It’s just going to make things awkward. Its a hell of a visual though.

3. maalea - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I wouldn’t want my balls on a table. Too many bad things could happen

4. imleftcoast - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Balls on the table? That must be a French translation of the German phrase:

• ibieiniid - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

i don’t click suspicious links. sorry leftcoast.

• imleftcoast - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Trying again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3TlrZLpQ0

5. muckleflugga - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:18 PM

it appears patrick is anticipating a meeting with bruins in the cup final

• blkeskimo1785 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I see what you did there!

6. patthehockeyfan - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Balls on the table

Balls to the wall

Here a ball, there a ball, everywhere a ball ball

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Now that I’m thinking this through…isn’t the saying he was going for is “cards on the table”? If he’s putting his balls on the table, where will they be putting their cards? It’s potentially unhealthy to play cards that’ve had balls all over them.

Trust me.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Trust you? What are you saying? Been there, done that?

Yes, it’s ‘cards on the table.’

Or, there’s Yiddish: “Tuches aufn tish” (spelled many different ways) which means ‘your ass is on the table.’

7. ibieiniid - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM

What a strategy. Make it apparent to the entire Wild organization that every table in the place has had the team’s collective balls on it. Where will they eat? Where will they strategize? I like it.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM

That’s it!

That’s what I call home ice advantage. I knew there was an angle here…he’s genius.

• ibieiniid - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM

that’s why he should win the….. Sack Adams award.

• ibieiniid - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM

• ibieiniid - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM

^^^ speaking of suspicious links.

• thailer35 - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I may have to retract my previous statement. Sack Adams with the David Caruso photo may take the cake.

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

• ibieiniid - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM

lol thanks thailer. Friday afternoons drag and drag and drag. puns are my only way through them.

8. ibieiniid - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I don’t wanna know what Joe SAKIC would do to the team’s balls.

did I stretch that one too far?

9. r8rbhawk - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I am quickly going to relate a story about what goes on inside hockey locker rooms that relates to what Coach Roy stated. I worked in the locker room for an IHL team from 1996-2000. Butch Goring was the coach at the time and our team was down in the series facing elimination. Before the game, a string was hung up in the middle of the locker room with a sign that said “Put your balls on the line.” Each player fashioned a pair of balls out of hockey tape, put their name on them and strung them up on the line. Pretty interesting visual and a good way to get everyone to buy in to support the team.

• ibieiniid - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

sounds like a greedy tape grab in my opinion. I’ve come up with many-a-scheme like this to not have to buy my own.

in all seriousness, cool story.

10. sjsharks66 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Balls? I could have swore it was going to be dolls… So the boys in Colorado are just going to plop their balls on the table? Hate to see what they would do if they win the Cup…

• thailer35 - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Steeping some tea… per se?

11. purpleguy - Apr 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM

They’d best hope that the table isn’t real cold — or the trainer’s table they use to rub on icy-hot.

12. blackhawksdynasty - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I had tons of great lines for this comment section, but I see I’m way too late for the party. Oh well. Carry on fellas….

13. drupac87 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM

It really sucks that the Avs got lucky and won the central. Sad to see hawks or blues leave in the first round. Take your balls of the table and go home.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches