Apr 25, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Maybe he got tired of Patrick Kane scoring all the dramatic overtime winners.
Jonathan Toews decided he would play the role of hero on Friday night, scoring 7:36 into overtime to give Chicago a 3-2 win in Game 5 of what’s become a truly compelling first-round affair.
With the victory, the ‘Hawks have stormed back after dropping the opening two games in St. Louis and now hold a 3-2 series lead.
And what a series it’s been.
Friday’s tilt was fourth time in five games Chicago and St. Louis have gone to overtime, just the fifth time that’s happened in NHL history. What’s more, Chicago has ended the last two OT sessions with goals from their dynamic duo, Kane and Toews.
Captain Serious’ goal tonight came after some scrambled play in the Chicago zone — Corey Crawford punched a rebound out into traffic, and Duncan Keith‘s wild swipe at the puck proved to be the perfect outlet pass, bouncing off Andrew Shaw‘s shin pad to spring Toews on a breakaway:
That wasn’t the lone dramatic moment of the night, however.
Three of the biggest stars in this series — T.J. Oshie, Marian Hossa and Alex Pietrangelo — all got their first goals of the postseason. Hossa opened the scoring late in the first period, only to see Oshie even the score midway through the second with this outrageous marker:
Ben Smith scored for Chicago to make it 2-1 with under two minutes remaining in the second, but the lead didn’t last long as Pietrangelo scored 1:42 into the third period, converting a nice two-on-one with Jaden Schwartz to beat Crawford in goal.
Speaking of Crawford, he was solid again tonight in stopping 27 of 29 shots while his counterpart, Ryan Miller, made 27 saves on 30 shots.
With the win, Chicago will now head back to the United Center on Sunday with the chance to close out the Blues — a Blues team that, for the second straight postseason, is facing an opening-round elimination after taking a 2-0 series lead.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)