Oh captain: Toews the OT hero as ‘Hawks take 3-2 series lead on Blues

Apr 25, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT

TOEWSSCORES AP

Maybe he got tired of Patrick Kane scoring all the dramatic overtime winners.

Jonathan Toews decided he would play the role of hero on Friday night, scoring 7:36 into overtime to give Chicago a 3-2 win in Game 5 of what’s become a truly compelling first-round affair.

With the victory, the ‘Hawks have stormed back after dropping the opening two games in St. Louis and now hold a 3-2 series lead.

And what a series it’s been.

Friday’s tilt was fourth time in five games Chicago and St. Louis have gone to overtime, just the fifth time that’s happened in NHL history. What’s more, Chicago has ended the last two OT sessions with goals from their dynamic duo, Kane and Toews.

Captain Serious’ goal tonight came after some scrambled play in the Chicago zone — Corey Crawford punched a rebound out into traffic, and Duncan Keith‘s wild swipe at the puck proved to be the perfect outlet pass, bouncing off Andrew Shaw‘s shin pad to spring Toews on a breakaway:

That wasn’t the lone dramatic moment of the night, however.

Three of the biggest stars in this series — T.J. Oshie, Marian Hossa and Alex Pietrangelo — all got their first goals of the postseason. Hossa opened the scoring late in the first period, only to see Oshie even the score midway through the second with this outrageous marker:

Ben Smith scored for Chicago to make it 2-1 with under two minutes remaining in the second, but the lead didn’t last long as Pietrangelo scored 1:42 into the third period, converting a nice two-on-one with Jaden Schwartz to beat Crawford in goal.

Speaking of Crawford, he was solid again tonight in stopping 27 of 29 shots while his counterpart, Ryan Miller, made 27 saves on 30 shots.

With the win, Chicago will now head back to the United Center on Sunday with the chance to close out the Blues — a Blues team that, for the second straight postseason, is facing an opening-round elimination after taking a 2-0 series lead.

1. r8rbhawk - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Another amazing game. Seriously, I hope my life insurance company does not have a loophole preventing my family from receiving they payout after this series kills me.

• slysipops - Apr 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM

YEAH , AINT THAT THE TRUTH !

2. prd797 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Ah the playoffs…the only time of the year when I consistently yell loud enough in the wee hours of the morning to wake up my whole building.

This series has been nothing short of incredible!

3. hammerhead5573 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:26 PM

IM not going to talk crap because that is what some people were doing when their team was up 2-0. It’s not over till its over. But going home 3-2 is huge. Go Hawks

• r8rbhawk - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Agreed, no crap talking until your team wins its fourth game.

• endusersolutions2013 - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:28 AM

And way too many have violated this principle – here, Yahoo Sports……….

Further thought – how many of the trash talkers have actually played?

We talk about players taking cheap shots, and fan verbal cheap-shots profoundly outnumber player cheapshots

4. comeonnowguys - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I eat pretty well, I stay in pretty good shape, and I only have one vice I submit to in moderation.

I am telling you all this so when I keel over and leave this world there will be no doubt that this series killed me.

5. micasa81 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I’m not a Toews fan, but the guy is money in the bank in situations like that.

6. joey4id - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:37 PM

If not PK, then why not JT. A big big goal by a stud, and one of the best leaders in the game today, and by that I mean his play with or without the puck, and we’ve all heard how he leads off the ice. He is one of the best to control the the play along the boards, can score goals and excels defensively. More hockey candy to come. Sorry Hawks fans, I’ll be cheering for the Blues. C’mon game 7.

• slysipops - Apr 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM

can we do a 1/2 & 1/2 on the thumbiing of a comment ? up for first half and then ……..

7. jpat2424 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Hey Kane whatever you can do I can do better says Toews!! Go hawks !!

8. imgoingtowichita - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Could this series get any better? Just Insane and unfortunate if you know what I mean.

With the technology today and PVR’s, this is one I have had to watch live and am thankful for.

A game seven would be welcomed by Blues fans while Hawks’ cringe at the thought.

As a fan of NHL hockey – keep it up!!!

• prd797 - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:01 AM

You are some kind of sadistic to take joy in the duress of Hawks and Blues fans watching this crazy series.

9. earpaniac - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM

The way these 2 teams are playing, they might be the best in the NHL right now. And it’s a shame one will be going home shortly. I wasn’t sure about the new playoff format, but so far I’m a fan. You are getting pretty good series( for the most part) in all the first round match ups. This is why hockey is the greatest sport. Most first-round matchups are no-brainers in other sports. NHL games are so competitive, you can’t guaranty any wins. Who had the Wild or The CBJ even so far? Or the Kings winning it all as an eight seed a couple years ago? Sorry for rambling, I’m just lovin’ me some SC playoff action right now!!

10. joey4id - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:46 PM

And no one was more relieved than Leddy. His missed shot gave the Blues a 2 on 1 rush allowing them to tie the game.

• gret9 - Apr 26, 2014 at 6:13 AM

That wasn’t Leddy’s mistake. When he jumped into the play one either Hossa or Shaw needed to stay high. Hossa was on the right wing boards so I’m going to say Shaw is probably the one who went in too deep and allowed the outnumbered counter attack by the Blues.

• joey4id - Apr 26, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Either way a missed shot from that angle will more often than not result in a rush the other way! These are the small details that make a difference when you’re on a quest to win the SC. Few teams are better than the Hawks when it comes to attention to detail.

• slysipops - Apr 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM

SHAW’S miscue for sure ! everyone was saying that leads were being blown by the HAWKS taking their foot off the pedal….so what LEDDY did was correct… the forward didn’t do his job ! too many HAWKS chasing the puck overloading one side of the zone….do the coaches see this ?

11. ineedmorehossa - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I need more Hossa

• slysipops - Apr 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM

a lot more !

12. hammerhead5573 - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM

By the way, a tip of the cap to Brookbank. He filled in for their best or 2nd best D-man and did a fine job.

• gret9 - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I love Seabrook, but jmho, I would probably vote Hammer #2. He does his job and also helps keep Johnny out of trouble. ;)

• slysipops - Apr 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM

tough call ! HAMMER is a supreme shot blocker and better one the d side…SEABROOK is almost as good on the d side ,but better on the o side…. very tuff steak to cut !

• slysipops - Apr 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM

for sure , he might be a good replacement for JOHNNY O ?

13. rgledz - Apr 26, 2014 at 1:15 AM

@Kastout11……Where are you big guy???? I thought the Hawks couldn’t beat the Blues without Seabrook……..didn’t you post that?? I thought there would NOT be a game 6……didn’t you post that too??? I guess your expertise is in something other than hockey, enjoy game 6 and Seabrook’s return……and maybe keep your thoughts to yourself.

14. c9castine - Apr 26, 2014 at 1:46 AM

oh look, a teams super stars playing super star games.

how nice.

15. nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Sorry to Hawks and Blues fans, but on behalf of the “Swiss” fans, I vote for at least one more OT game to tie the record of 5 in one series (’51 Final).
    My brother, in Chicago on business, is now online hunting for a ticket.

• Jackson Scofield - Apr 26, 2014 at 1:11 PM

The Blackhawks did that 2 years ago against Phoenix… Games 1-5 all went to OT before the Hawks lost 4-0 in Game 6.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 26, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Whoopsie. I’d forgotten about that one. Thanks!!

16. jetsfan1973 - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM

How can you NOT be a Toews fan?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM

The lunatic fringe of rival fandoms (note the specificity of that entire phrase) and of course haters. Same can be said for nearly all star players similar to Toews.

I’m sure there are players that the meatball sect of Blackhawks players hate that they have no business hating.

• slysipops - Apr 26, 2014 at 5:36 PM

deep

17. purpleguy - Apr 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I wonder how much the winner of this series will have left?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM

How about you worry about Colorado first? :)

18. endusersolutions2013 - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Bad timing for the good team the Blues have put together – they’d have been playing a 7th seed without the division wrinkle. One of the top 4 or 5 teams in the league will likely no get to round 2

19. slysipops - Apr 26, 2014 at 5:32 PM

absolutley no other BLACKHAWK player i would rather see with the puck in that situation than TOEWS ! the game was making me a nervous wreck ( again ) and going into overtime made me think…oh no not again ! BUT, when i saw him pick up that puck at center ice all alone i was sure the game was over ! the kid is a CLOSER ! GO HAWKS GO !

Top 10 NHL Player Searches