Apr 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
In a move that’s sure to raise eyebrows, Jonas Gustavsson has been named Detroit’s starter for Saturday’s elimination game against Boston.
One almost wants to put “ill” in quotation marks (actually, I just did it) because Babcock said he’s going on the assumption Howard will serve as Gustavsson’s backup on Saturday, which begs the question — is Howard too sick to start, yet healthy enough to back up? And why announce a starter today, rather than give Howard the next 24 hours to rest and possibly recuperate?
As for Gustavsson — he played very well on Thursday, especially given the circumstances. Despite seeing his first action in over two weeks, he stopped 37 of 40 Bruins shots for a .925 save percentage, and was sharp in OT as the Wings were out-shot 12-3 before Jarome Iginla scored the game winner at the 13:32 mark.
Update: Further to the above, here’s Howard getting kneed in the head by Carl Soderberg during Game 3, and his reaction to the contact…
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)