Apr 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
In a move that’s sure to raise eyebrows, Jonas Gustavsson has been named Detroit’s starter for Saturday’s elimination game against Boston.
One almost wants to put “ill” in quotation marks (actually, I just did it) because Babcock said he’s going on the assumption Howard will serve as Gustavsson’s backup on Saturday, which begs the question — is Howard too sick to start, yet healthy enough to back up? And why announce a starter today, rather than give Howard the next 24 hours to rest and possibly recuperate?
As for Gustavsson — he played very well on Thursday, especially given the circumstances. Despite seeing his first action in over two weeks, he stopped 37 of 40 Bruins shots for a .925 save percentage, and was sharp in OT as the Wings were out-shot 12-3 before Jarome Iginla scored the game winner at the 13:32 mark.
Update: Further to the above, here’s Howard getting kneed in the head by Carl Soderberg during Game 3, and his reaction to the contact…
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 2
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 20
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7