Apr 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
In a move that’s sure to raise eyebrows, Jonas Gustavsson has been named Detroit’s starter for Saturday’s elimination game against Boston.
One almost wants to put “ill” in quotation marks (actually, I just did it) because Babcock said he’s going on the assumption Howard will serve as Gustavsson’s backup on Saturday, which begs the question — is Howard too sick to start, yet healthy enough to back up? And why announce a starter today, rather than give Howard the next 24 hours to rest and possibly recuperate?
As for Gustavsson — he played very well on Thursday, especially given the circumstances. Despite seeing his first action in over two weeks, he stopped 37 of 40 Bruins shots for a .925 save percentage, and was sharp in OT as the Wings were out-shot 12-3 before Jarome Iginla scored the game winner at the 13:32 mark.
Update: Further to the above, here’s Howard getting kneed in the head by Carl Soderberg during Game 3, and his reaction to the contact…
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)