Apr 25, 2014, 8:02 PM EST
Philadelphia goaltender Steve Mason missed the start of the Flyers’ first round series against the New York Rangers with an upper-body injury, but he returned for Game 3 and is making his first start of the playoffs tonight.
Mason has very little postseason experience and hasn’t won a playoff game before. So far it looks like he’ll have his work cut out for him if he wants to change that tonight.
The Rangers put a lot of pressure on the 25-year-old goaltender in the first period and were rewarded early when Dominic Moore found the back of the net on a wraparound.
The Flyers went on to be outshot 16-6 in the first period, but Mason settled down and kept them in the game. Thanks to his efforts, the game is tied through 20 minutes on the strength of Matt Read‘s first goal of the playoffs.
Matt Read on his goal: "[Akeson] told me he meant to do that, throw the puck behind the boards."
— Adam Kimelman (@NHLAdamK) April 26, 2014
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)