Apr 25, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings needed a win to save their season and playoffs. It was that simple. And a win is exactly what they earned.
The Kings, trailing the San Jose Sharks 3-0 in the best-of-seven opening-round series coming into the evening, took over the game in the second period to defeat their California rivals by a final score of 6-3. San Jose now leads the series 3-1. The final few minutes ended with animosity, including a scrap at the final buzzer between Brent Burns and Robyn Regehr.
Their offensive outburst through the second period and early into the third chased San Jose goalie Antti Niemi from the game. His night came to an end after Marian Gaborik scored 34 seconds into the third period, giving a desperate L.A. team a three-goal lead. Niemi made 21 saves on 26 shots faced.
The team in front of him was chasing the game throughout. Gaborik opened the scoring less than five minutes into the game, but the Sharks answered on a nifty play from James Sheppard, who knocked the puck out of mid-air and past Jonathan Quick to even the score at 1-1 with just seven seconds remaining in the opening period.
The Kings, undeterred, took the lead for good late in the second period, as Justin Williams showed some hand-eye coordination of his own, deftly deflecting the puck past Niemi for his second goal of the night. Tyler Toffoli scored with 59 seconds remaining in the second period to up L.A.’s lead to a pair of goals heading into the third.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 15
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)