Apr 25, 2014, 1:32 AM EST
The L.A. Kings needed a win to save their season and playoffs. It was that simple. And a win is exactly what they earned.
The Kings, trailing the San Jose Sharks 3-0 in the best-of-seven opening-round series coming into the evening, took over the game in the second period to defeat their California rivals by a final score of 6-3. San Jose now leads the series 3-1. The final few minutes ended with animosity, including a scrap at the final buzzer between Brent Burns and Robyn Regehr.
Their offensive outburst through the second period and early into the third chased San Jose goalie Antti Niemi from the game. His night came to an end after Marian Gaborik scored 34 seconds into the third period, giving a desperate L.A. team a three-goal lead. Niemi made 21 saves on 26 shots faced.
The team in front of him was chasing the game throughout. Gaborik opened the scoring less than five minutes into the game, but the Sharks answered on a nifty play from James Sheppard, who knocked the puck out of mid-air and past Jonathan Quick to even the score at 1-1 with just seven seconds remaining in the opening period.
The Kings, undeterred, took the lead for good late in the second period, as Justin Williams showed some hand-eye coordination of his own, deftly deflecting the puck past Niemi for his second goal of the night. Tyler Toffoli scored with 59 seconds remaining in the second period to up L.A.’s lead to a pair of goals heading into the third.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)