Apr 25, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Anaheim Ducks hosting the Dallas Stars starting at 10:30 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• Jamie Benn scored the Stars’ first goal in Game 4 to extend his point streak to nine games dating back to the regular season. The Dallas captain is the first player in franchise history to register at least one point in each of his first four postseason games since Steve Payne and Bobby Smith posted points in five consecutive games for the Minnesota North Stars in 1980. Elias Sports Bureau
• Tyler Seguin, the Stars’ leading scorer in the regular season (37-47=84 points, 4th in the NHL), scored his lone goal of the series in Dallas’ Game 1 loss. With his next goal, the 22-year-old Seguin will eclipse his goal output from last season’s playoffs, when he scored once in 22 games in Boston’s run to the Stanley Cup Final.
• Tonight’s game marks the 17th postseason game in three all-time series between the Stars and Ducks. The previous two series ended in six games (Anaheim won in 2003, Dallas won in 2008). This is the first time the teams enter Game 5 tied at two games apiece. Each team has won five home games and eight total games.
• Jonas Hiller started every game in net for the Ducks during their postseason appearances in 2009 (13 games) and 2013 (seven games). When the Swiss goalie took over for Frederik Andersen in Game 4, it was the first time that Hiller had come on in relief in a playoff game. Since the start of the 2011 playoffs, which Hiller missed due to vertigo, Anaheim has used four different starting goaltenders: Ray Emery, Dan Ellis, Hiller and Andersen. Only Philadelphia (5) has used more during that span.
• Ducks center Ryan Getzlaf missed the first playoff game of his nine-year NHL career in Anaheim’s Game 4 loss. In the past two seasons, the Ducks have played 141 games, regular season and playoffs. Their captain has multi-point games in 39 of those. Anaheim went 35-2-2 in those games, including 2-0 this series (Games 1 and 2).
• In Game 4, Ducks defenseman Bryan Allen scored his first goal in 139 games (128 regular season, 11 postseason) and first-ever in the playoffs. (His previous goal came on Feb. 28, 2012, as a member of Carolina.) That ended the NHL’s longest active goal drought by a non-goalie. With Allen’s goal, the longest active goalless drought among 2014 Stanley Cup playoff participants (skaters only) belongs to Pittsburgh’s Rob Scuderi (122 games – 100 regular season, 22 postseason).
• The Stars and Ducks combined for 140 penalty minutes in Games 3 and 4, with the Ducks picking up 79 of them. The Ducks, who were middle of the pack (T-14th) during the regular season with 10.9 penalty minutes/game, have committed 29 penalties for 101 minutes (25.2 PIMs/game) in four games, not including two bench minors for four more minutes. In Game 4, Anaheim fell to 3-9 all-time when committing 30 or more penalty minutes in a playoff game (0-7 on the road).
• The Anaheim-Dallas series is one of two series that have not featured overtime. (N.Y. Rangers-Philadelphia is the other.) Despite the lack of extra playing time, two Stars defensemen are among the NHL leaders this postseason in average time on ice. Alex Goligoski (29:08, 7th in the NHL) and Trevor Daley (26:13, 16th) are the only skaters who have played 25+ minutes per game, all in regulation.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)