Apr 25, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Tonight on CNBC, it’s the Philadelphia Flyers hosting the New York Rangers starting at 7 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• The Rangers, who earned a franchise-record 25 road wins during the regular season, enter tonight’s Game 4 looking to make it back-to-back wins in Philadelphia following Tuesday’s 4-1 win. The Rangers-Flyers is the only series of playoffs’ first round that has yet to produce a one-goal game, thanks in part to Wayne Simmonds’ empty-net goal that sealed the Flyers’ 4-2 win in Game 2.
• Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, who has stopped 66 of 71 shots this series (.930 save percentage), has 32 career victories in the playoffs; only three goaltenders in the 2014 postseason have more – Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury (47), San Jose’s Antti Niemi (35) and Colorado backup Jean-Sebastien Giguere (33). His counterpart, Flyers goalie Steve Mason, will be looking for his first career playoff win. Mason will get his first start since suffering an upper-body injury in a collision with Pittsburgh’s Jayson Megna on April 12. Mason finished Game 3 in relief of Ray Emery, stopping all three shots in 7:15.
• Claude Giroux, the Flyers’ leading scorer during the regular season (28-58=86 points, third in NHL), has gone without a goal in his last 13 games vs. the Rangers (10 regular season, three postseason). During that span, he has 12 assists (two in this series) and 18 shots on goal (two in this series). The Flyers are 5-8 in those games (1-2 in this series).
• Flyers winger Scott Hartnell, fresh off his seventh career 20-goal season and fifth as a Flyer, has yet to score in the playoffs and has not scored since March 28, a span of 12 games (nine regular-season, three playoffs). It is the longest Hartnell has gone without scoring since a 21-game stretch spanning the 2009-10 regular season and playoffs (12 reg. season, nine playoffs). This season, the Flyers were 15-1-2 when Hartnell scored a goal.
• Philadelphia has been held to a single goal in two of this series’ first three games. The last time the Flyers scored fewer than two goals three times in a single playoff series was in 2004, when they lost to Tampa Bay in seven games in the Eastern Conference final (13 series ago).
• Rangers winger Martin St. Louis has points (2-3=5) in all three games of the series. The 38-year-old St. Louis, who had one goal and seven assists in 19 regular-season games after being acquired from Tampa Bay in exchange for Ryan Callahan, has produced his first three multi-point games as a Ranger in his last five games (two regular season, three postseason.
• After scoring only one goal on 42 shots on goal during the 2013 playoffs, Rangers winger Rick Nash has gone goalless in his first 18 shots this postseason. Nash is one of four 25-goal scorers in the 2013-14 regular season with 18 or more shots on goal this postseason, but no goals. Marian Hossa (21), Zach Parise (19) and Patrick Sharp (18) are the others. His postseason goal drought stands at 15 games.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (61)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)