Apr 25, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
St. Louis Blues captain David Backes hasn’t played since he was the victim of a high hit by Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook on Saturday. That will change tonight when St. Louis takes on Chicago in Game 5 of the first round series.
Backes is taking part in St. Louis’ pregame warmups and will be in the lineup, per CBS Sports’ Andy Strickland.
Getting the gritty 29-year-old forward back is naturally a big development for the Blues after they lost back-to-back contests to Chicago without him. The series is now tied at 2-2.
This is also surprising news given that he wasn’t on the ice for the team’s morning skate. At the time, Blues coach Ken Hitchcock insisted that reporters shouldn’t jump to conclusions.
“Like I said in Chicago, there are lots of rinks here in St. Louis too. You never know. Might just jump on the ice and be there,” said Hitchcock, according to CSN Chicago.
Blues lines: Schwartz-Backes-Oshie, Steen-Sobotka-Tarasenko, Ott-Berglund-Cracknell, Porter-Lapierre-Reaves.
— Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) April 25, 2014
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 27
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)