Apr 25, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
St. Louis Blues captain David Backes hasn’t played since he was the victim of a high hit by Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook on Saturday. That will change tonight when St. Louis takes on Chicago in Game 5 of the first round series.
Backes is taking part in St. Louis’ pregame warmups and will be in the lineup, per CBS Sports’ Andy Strickland.
Getting the gritty 29-year-old forward back is naturally a big development for the Blues after they lost back-to-back contests to Chicago without him. The series is now tied at 2-2.
This is also surprising news given that he wasn’t on the ice for the team’s morning skate. At the time, Blues coach Ken Hitchcock insisted that reporters shouldn’t jump to conclusions.
“Like I said in Chicago, there are lots of rinks here in St. Louis too. You never know. Might just jump on the ice and be there,” said Hitchcock, according to CSN Chicago.
Blues lines: Schwartz-Backes-Oshie, Steen-Sobotka-Tarasenko, Ott-Berglund-Cracknell, Porter-Lapierre-Reaves.
— Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) April 25, 2014
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)