Apr 25, 2014, 7:41 PM EST
St. Louis Blues captain David Backes hasn’t played since he was the victim of a high hit by Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook on Saturday. That will change tonight when St. Louis takes on Chicago in Game 5 of the first round series.
Backes is taking part in St. Louis’ pregame warmups and will be in the lineup, per CBS Sports’ Andy Strickland.
Getting the gritty 29-year-old forward back is naturally a big development for the Blues after they lost back-to-back contests to Chicago without him. The series is now tied at 2-2.
This is also surprising news given that he wasn’t on the ice for the team’s morning skate. At the time, Blues coach Ken Hitchcock insisted that reporters shouldn’t jump to conclusions.
“Like I said in Chicago, there are lots of rinks here in St. Louis too. You never know. Might just jump on the ice and be there,” said Hitchcock, according to CSN Chicago.
Blues lines: Schwartz-Backes-Oshie, Steen-Sobotka-Tarasenko, Ott-Berglund-Cracknell, Porter-Lapierre-Reaves.
— Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) April 25, 2014
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 3
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 93
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (99)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)