Apr 24, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Can James Sheppard play baseball?
The San Jose Sharks forward scored with only seven seconds remaining in the opening period, tying Game 4 against the L.A. Kings at a goal apiece. Sheppard knocked a loose puck out of the air in front of Jonathan Quick, showing some nifty hand-eye coordination after some earlier good work around the net and in the corner from his 20-year-old linemate Tomas Hertl.
The Kings, looking to stave off getting swept out of the first-round by their California rivals, opened the scoring on a goal from Marian Gaborik at the 4:08 mark of the first period. The Kings were just seconds away from getting out of the period with the lead, until Sheppard found the back of the net.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2