Video: Brad Marchand misses the mark a few times

Apr 24, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT

Whether people like it or not, Brad Marchand is a quality hockey player.

He’s the type who can create as much as he agitates, so there are only so many opportunities for detractors to razz the polarizing Boston Bruins pest. Thursday presented that opportunity, as he dealt with some humors/heartbreaking missed opportunities (depending upon the observer):

Even those who cover the Bruins were getting a few zingers in:

Marchand still has a chance to get the last laugh in overtime, though.

1. bigdaddy44 - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Multiple chokes! And will someone tell Iginla he is on the 2014 Bruins, not the 2013 Penguins!

• bucrightoff - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Looks like Iginla took your comment to heart.

2. bigdaddy44 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:14 PM

He busted his butt in OT!!! I guess Iggy heard me screaming at him!!!

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Yes, it must have been you. You single-handedly won the game. Good job!

3. sixchr - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:16 PM

If Marchand is just going to be a diving puke and miss opening nets, what the hell is he worth to the Bruins? Do I really have to just watch this little rodent dive around and miss nets all day? Why do I have to like the team that has a knack for guys who miss the net?

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Seriously? Please take your pink hat fandom elsewhere

• sixchr - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Oh relax, I’m obviously exaggerating. But come on, what has Marchand done in this series? He took a dive and missed a couple wide open nets. Marchand’s lack of offensive production was a problem in the playoffs last year and if they’re going to win the Cup they need him to score.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I mock the Bruins a lot – but really – do you really think Marchand adds nothing to that team? Lots of other teams would take him. Pittsburgh already has our share of scum that happens to be damn good at playing hockey, so we don’t need more, but there are a lot of teams that could benefit from Marchand.

• joey4id - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:12 AM

:-) As much as I had to admit it, I would take the rat on my team, but not because he aggravates the hell out of other players. He’s a very well rounded player. Play o and d very well. I think Julien once said of Marchand, “I’m ok with the fact he aggravates the opponents as long as he doesn’t aggravate me.”

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM

The guy is a 20+ goal scorer, can play PK and PP, makes other teams take stupid penalties, is strong defensively, and on and on. I saw plenty of people who’ve never played hockey in their life claiming how easy it is to score last night. Guys miss open nets all the time and every hockey player goes through cold streaks, acting like these are somehow indicative of a bad player are absolutely ridiculous.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Crosby missed 6 shots last game I think. It happens. Getting into position to score is the tough part.

4. slaugin - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:56 AM

He has been on the best PK in the playoffs, I could list more but that should be enough

Flyers have many concerns