Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision)

Apr 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Henrik Zetterberg Getty Images

According to a source of The Hockey News, Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg will return to the lineup tonight for Game 4 of their series against Boston.

From THN:

Zetterberg has been cleared to play tonight, after missing the last 30 games (including playoffs) and all but one game of the Olympics with a back injury.

The source said Zetterberg will likely play only “limited minutes,” somewhere in the range of 10 to 12, but even that will be a massive upgrade for a Red Wings team that is reeling with injuries and has been outscored by the Bruins 7-1 in the past two games.

Zetterberg had returned to practice earlier this week and seemed to be steadily increasing his work load and skating intensity. Yesterday, he called practice a “good step” but said he still needed to jump some hurdles before drawing back into the lineup.

“The good thing is [the decision] is not in my corner, I’ve got to be cleared by the doctor,” Zetterberg said, per NHL.com. “I’ve got to do all those exams. I’m just preparing myself to get into better and better shape, try and get as much game-like situations as I can in practice. Today was a good day of that.

“As soon as I get the go-ahead that I’m healed and the disc is good, then I’ll think about coming back.”

Getting Zetterberg back would, obviously, be a huge boon for the Wings. The 33-year-old Swede had 48 points in 45 games prior to getting hurt, and could spark a Detroit power play that’s gone 0-for-9 over the first three games of the series.

Update:

1. jeffchadwick - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Mr. Zetterberg, meet Milan Lucic’s Stick. Mr. Stick, meet Mr. Zetterberg’s back.

• mshantz22 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Well aren’t you just a POS.

• hockey412 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM

The truly sad part about it is yes, he is, but so is Lucic – and he’s probably speaking truthfully.

• michiganhockey11 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Agreed. It’s Lucic, so it’s a possibility.

No coincidence that Zetterberg’s return to the lineup will be along with Bertuzzi’s return as well. Anybody including that giant @ss hat Lucic tries anything with Zetterberg and Bert will harness his inner “Probie protecting Yzerman” and take care of it.

• rbbbaron - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM

As much as 500+ league players and millions of fans would love to see Bertuzzi go beast on Lucic or Chara, he hasn’t done a damn thing since leaving Vancouver (for his own sake)

• 101starmymedic - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM

He speaks truth. I guarantee though if anyone tries cross-checking him the refs and the league will be all over it. Zetterberg is a class-act. They’re not going to let him get gooned his first came back without consequence.

• michiganhockey11 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I’d like to think the league would react in such a way, but after they fined Lucic the equivalent of $20 to you and me for attempting to give DeKeyser a vasectomy, I have no faith in the discipline actions from the league.

• rbbbaron - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM

“I guarantee though if anyone tries cross-checking him the refs and the league will be all over it.”
        Is that a money-back guarantee? We’ve seen some pretty inconsistent disciplining over the last few years. Shea Weber physically grabbing Zetterberg’s head and slamming it into the glass wasn’t terribly offending to the refs or league a few years back…

• michiganhockey11 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Yeah, Shea Weber was doing his best Ric Flair impersonation and the league didn’t even raise their finger.

• jeffchadwick - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Bertuzzi has never been a good fighter. A physical presence, sure, but the man is more of a wrassler than a puncher when the gloves are dropped. He’s not exactly Kocur or Probert.

2. tmoore4075 - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Worried about his game shape, but Hank at 75% is better than no Hank.

3. bensawesomeness - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Clearly, here’s hoping they’re not rushing him back, especially against the heavy-hitting B’s

That being said, Z’s exactly what the young guns need right now – a calming presence who knows how to win

4. dboldave - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Nice boost for Detroit but I think it’s the other guys in the lineup that need to step up to get them going. Hoping the guy who’s missed half the season with a bad back will play 10 minutes or so and make a huge difference is a lofty expectation.

5. montrealbbr - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Lucic and Marchand have already shown their true colors in this series. I expect Chara to show up and give Zetterberg a crosscheck to the back. Or maybe Thornton will jump him if he plays well. Either way this guy will be lucky to make it out alive.

• mshantz22 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I’m pretty sure if Thornton jumps another guy like he did Orpik, he’ll get booted from the NHL.

• michiganhockey11 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Or if Thorton does that, Bertuzzi will “Steve Moore” him.

Too soon?

• rbbbaron - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

No, not too soon. Just wishful thinking…

6. titansbro - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Good, I want Detroit at full strength.

• hockey412 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Oh do you, tough guy! What position you suiting up for tonight?

• shaundre93 - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM

How did that comment make you give that response? Who exactly is trying to be the “tough guy” here?

7. titansbro - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Personally, I hated what Marchand did the other night. But really? He’s only doing what 4-5 Habs players do EVERY game. Can’t be ok with it when Subban does it & be mad when Marchand does it.

• nosefacekillah - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM

What exactly did Marchand do other than take a dirty knee to knee check?

• lopo - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM

It wasn’t knee-on-knee…it was more of shin-on-upper ankle. And he clearly favored the untouched leg while acting his way to the bench. Marchand is a Dbag…everyone knows it some are just afraid to admit it.

• dtownbeatdown - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Yea since when is an unintentionally knee to knee contact dirty? It is a joke for any Bruins or Habs fans to talk about any other teams being dirty.

• sanfranbruinsfan - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Marchand explained after the game that he didn’t think the knee hit was that bad, but that he landed awkwardly on THE OTHER leg and that was why he was favoring it.

• montrealbbr - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Marchand dove with no contact and then favored the wrong leg when he skated off. I have never seen anyone on Montreal ever do something like that. People love to hate on Subban but thats because they hate to see their top players getting shut down by him! If the Bruins somehow get past Detroit I cant wait to see Marchand get lit up by Subban!

• madmax80 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM

He actually lifted his inside leg to avoid the clear attempt at knee to knee contact. When he spun around, his planted knee twisted.

Is that too difficult to understand?

• cba77 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM

…really bro, never seen any HAB embellish….you just lost any/all credibility

• dtownbeatdown - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM

“I was trying to draw five” -Marchand

Yea I am going to believe he wasn’t embellishing at all. Being bias is one thing being blind is another. And if it were such a clear attempt at a knee on knee where is the suspension and fine? Get real madmax…

• drewzducks - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM

No contact? Clearly there WAS minor contact and the appropriate trip was called:

Now THIS is no contact:

Players get shutdown by PK ? Explain his -4 this year. By comparison, Chara was a +25. I can’t tell if you’re delusional or mentally challenged.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM

1. Marchand embellished. I mean, obviously, c’mon. Use your eyes.
        2. There was contact, Smith stuck his knee out a little bit. Nothing huge, and it looked more like he was trying to trip him than knee him.
        3. If it were a cleaner more stand-up guy, I might care. Marchand is lower than garbage, I don’t care if he’s injured at all.

8. feedmetherock - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Can’t see how this is going to do anything but hurt the Wings to be quite honest. Inserting players, regardless of who they are, disrupts chemistry. The wings were on a tear leading up to the playoffs and then they put in Datsyuk and now all the kids (the ones that were the driving force for them to even make the playoffs) have gone ice cold. Nyquist has I think 2 assists since Datsyuk came back.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Bringing back Henrik Zetterberg does nothing but help, 100%. Nyquist has gone cold because the lines got juggled.

Babcock is the best there is but his one fault is that he screws with lines too much and doesn’t use the most logical combinations. He’s so confident in himself that he thinks the square peg will enter the round hole if he wills it. Sometimes he’s right but when he’s wrong, it kills the team. IE; game 2 and 3. Detroit is better, they showed it all season when he wasn’t getting cute with line combos.

• nosefacekillah - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Nyquist has gone cold because he is facing one of the best defensive teams in the league.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Ya? Why did he score on you last time then?

9. shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Watch yourself Zetterberg, we all know who you’re playing tonight. Biggest goon squad in the league.

Which would be one thing if it were illegal, but it’s quite another when they have the leagues blessing to slash, injure, dive, play dirty and in general be everything that’s wrong with hockey with no punishment.

Hockey is coming about how much of a slimy rat coward you can be in order to win. The respect and sportsmanship is gone.

• michiganhockey11 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Which was proof enough as they only gave Cooke a 7-game suspension after being suspended 5 previous times….

Shanny’s probably glad he is getting out of there. The league office is a joke.

• montrealbbr - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM

They really need to do something about the dirty play from teams like Boston and Pittsburgh. As long as those teams win though and the league lets them do what they want they will continue to hurt other players and cheat to win games.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Bingo.

10. 101starmymedic - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Oh my God can you imagine the epic diving extravaganza if the Bruins play the Canadiens, it’ll be like a fleet of submarines.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I remember when the Sharks played the Canucks. More dives than a pool at the olympics.

• rbbbaron - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I look forward to the youtube video “Embellishment Series” (or perhaps “A tale of two Embellishment Cities”?)

11. crusty14 - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Are you nuts? No contact was made? Really? Honestly bud, take off the wing shaped sunglasses ! It was an obvious trip, he was penalized for tripping. Marchand hurt his other knee on landing on the ice, what’s the big deal?

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Who cares? The contact was absolutely minimal. Do you really pity that waste of good organs? Dude deserved a full on knee but Detroit doesn’t sink to that level.

12. crusty14 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Shoobie, your an idiot!

You and your conspiracy theorist friends really believe the league allows the bruins to do things that other teams don’t? Check the season stats on short handed and power play opportunities and you’ll see the bruins are not favoured .

Furthermore , anyone who wishes another to be injured is a complete and total douche

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:16 PM

You’re*, as in, you’re welcome for the spelling lesson. Don’t call someone an idiot if you don’t know the difference.

I don’t care about stats for penalties called. Refs even those up, that’s as much a part of hockey these days as sticks and ice. Boston runs goalies, slash players, can-open guys and never get punished. If I was a conspiracy theorist (a nice, easy, lazy label people like you throw around) I’d say it’s because of Gregory Campbell. If…

• montrealbbr - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Dont forget that Boston also jumps guys from behind and pummels them while they are knocked out on the ice. I am still shocked they got a suspension out of that one. But this along with elbows up high and always punches after the whistle. It all makes Boston one dirty team and Im tired of it.

13. madmax80 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Bruins had 230 power play opportunities during the season that’s the least in the NHL. So, I don’t thik that they are diving and flopping all over the ice.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM

That doesn’t indicate they don’t dive at all. Flawed logic.

• drewzducks - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Stats for ’13-’14 aren’t out yet but during last year’s shortened regular season, Montreal led the league in diving penalties with 5, Vancouver had 3 and Boston had 1(Seguin). A total of 33 were called league-wide.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM

may as well be 0 across the board. the nhl doesn’t call diving. every once in awhile you’ll get a ref who will but it for all intents and purposes, doesn’t happen.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Also, Vancouver are known divers. They only had what, 1516 more PPs than Boston? It’s not a stat that indicates how willing you are to flop when you need to.

• madmax80 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I know Detroit is bankrupt, so I am sure there education system is lacking. Let me help you with the math. VAN had 257 Power Play Opportunities and BOS has 230. Thats a difference of 27. When the difference from Most (PHI – 293) to Least (BOS – 230) is a total of 67, a difference of 27 is quite large. However, that is a more advanced statistical analysis that probably flies over the head of someone educated in DET.

If you say they dive (they dont), then realize that they receive no benefit from your alleged diving. If anything, they dont draw a penalty and they take themselves out of the play.

So, if you think they are diving, you should be happy about it. They’re not getting the penalties called and their laying on the ice. Should make it easier to score on them. Hey, if they didn’t dive and roll around on the ice so much, its possible DET would only have one goal in 3 games since some other Bruins might have been in position to play defense instead of flailing around on the ice. Wake up.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Actually I wasn’t educated in Detroit, but way to expose that nerve I must’ve struck 😉

I was going off of memory BTW. I don’t immediately rush to eyeball a stat page, sorry kiddo. You’re telling me 27 PP opportunities over 82 games is a lot? An extra penalty every few games? Here, try this one, Sharks, known divers, Canucks, known divers, opposite ends of the PP opportunity spectrum.

Keep reaching to defend your goon divers. At the end of the day, a stat page doesn’t erase that embarrassingly laughable Chara dive against a fairly small Tomas Tatar. Or Marchand acting like he took a shotgun blast to the knee when Smith barely moved. Or Marchand pretty much every time he laces up skates.

• madmax80 - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Struck a nerve? Because you don’t understand stats? No. Just trying to find a reason for your stupidity.

Forgive me for backing up my argurment with verifiable stats. I’ll just make up the stats next time like you do. I actually happen to follow my team closely enough to know that they draw the least penalties, so it was quite easy for me to quickly look up that stat.

If the difference between the most and least is 67, then 27/67 = 40% is a lot. So, yes – I am saying that. Thats almost a full power play per game (0.82/game to be exact).

I see there is no point trying to point out all your extreme misinterpretations of the game of hockey. You’re too biased for that. However, every team has guys who have taken a dive once in a while. DET included. BOS included. If you claim BOS does it so much, where are the Power Play Opportunities to back it up? Until the NHL starts keeping ‘Diving’ as an official stat, I guess we will just have to use PPO’s as the indicator. Or, I guess we could just as you. You seem to be the self proclaimed authority.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM

4 entire paragraphs and you could’ve just said “I WORSHIP STATS”.

I don’t need a number to see Chara, Marchand and a handful of others flopping. You do. I’m sorry for your inadequacy.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM

lol if anything it just proves how efficient officials are at evening out calls. i knew they did it, I mean you can see it whenever you watch (cringe-worthy how obvious it is) but man, they really have it down to a near-science don’t they?

• valoisvipers - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM

@MADMAX80 I think you better recheck your math. 293-230 does not leave 67.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM

lmao

• rbbbaron - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Citing the “advanced” stat that Boston had the least number of POWER PLAY OPPORTUNITIES during the 2013-14 regular season doesn’t speak a whole helluva lot to the issue of Boston players diving. Taken alone, along with the fact that diving is usually called coincidentally, there’s a better argument to be made that that stat actually supports, in as little as it does, the idea that Boston dives.
      Not to take sides on the issue of whether the Bruins are/aren’t divers, it’s just that your self-righteousness is undue given your pretty horrible logic.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM

You can just sense max’s face getting red, the spit flying from his mouth in a frothing rage, getting ready to accuse baron of being poorly educated.

14. crusty14 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM

We are all tired of you and your relentless posting of the same whine over and over again!

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM

You’re whining right now.

See how easy that game is to play? Try countering what I’m saying.

15. crusty14 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Sorry about the spelling mistake, it was a spell check error. I didn’t realize we were deducted marks for grammar!

So you really think the league allows boston and Pittsburgh away with things and not other teams? If you do, you are an idiot and a conspiracy theorist! Do you really think the other 28 teams in the league would be ok with that? Doesn’t make any sense now does it?

You and montrealbr should get off the computer now, as it’s time for your afternoon nap.

• shoobiedoobin - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Spelling and grammar are two different things. Read a book without pictures FFS. You really think certain teams don’t get away with things others don’t? God I’d love to be young and naive again.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches