Apr 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EST
According to a source of The Hockey News, Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg will return to the lineup tonight for Game 4 of their series against Boston.
Zetterberg has been cleared to play tonight, after missing the last 30 games (including playoffs) and all but one game of the Olympics with a back injury.
The source said Zetterberg will likely play only “limited minutes,” somewhere in the range of 10 to 12, but even that will be a massive upgrade for a Red Wings team that is reeling with injuries and has been outscored by the Bruins 7-1 in the past two games.
Zetterberg had returned to practice earlier this week and seemed to be steadily increasing his work load and skating intensity. Yesterday, he called practice a “good step” but said he still needed to jump some hurdles before drawing back into the lineup.
“The good thing is [the decision] is not in my corner, I’ve got to be cleared by the doctor,” Zetterberg said, per NHL.com. “I’ve got to do all those exams. I’m just preparing myself to get into better and better shape, try and get as much game-like situations as I can in practice. Today was a good day of that.
“As soon as I get the go-ahead that I’m healed and the disc is good, then I’ll think about coming back.”
Getting Zetterberg back would, obviously, be a huge boon for the Wings. The 33-year-old Swede had 48 points in 45 games prior to getting hurt, and could spark a Detroit power play that’s gone 0-for-9 over the first three games of the series.
- Report: Connolly suffers broken finger in Bruins practice 1
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 9
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)