Apr 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Sounds like the Rangers are more than prepared to face Steve Mason Friday in Game 4 of the opening-round series against the Flyers.
“We went through the same preparation as we went through with Emery, scouting report, some video, we know what to expect from him and we know the areas to go after,” said Rangers coach Alain Vigneault.
Mason’s former teammate Derick Brassard said: “He’s had a good season, we’ve got to expect him to be good. He plays the puck well, so we have to be carefeul on the dump ins.”
Derek Dorsett. “We have to throw a lot of pucks on him, he hasn’t played in a while, test him early, especially in the playoffs, where there’s a little more pressure.”
The Rangers are familiar with Mason, having faced him three times during the regular season — though that hardly amounted to great success. The Flyers goalie was very good against the Blueshirts, going 2-1-0 with a .937 save percentage and 2.01 GAA (the strength of those numbers came at Wells Fargo, where Mason went 2-0-0 against New York with a .955 save percentage and 1.50 GAA.)
Friday will mark Mason’s first start of the series — he was sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury in the final weekend of the regular season — though he did play seven minutes in relief of Emery during a 4-1 loss in Game 3.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)