Apr 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Sounds like the Rangers are more than prepared to face Steve Mason Friday in Game 4 of the opening-round series against the Flyers.
“We went through the same preparation as we went through with Emery, scouting report, some video, we know what to expect from him and we know the areas to go after,” said Rangers coach Alain Vigneault.
Mason’s former teammate Derick Brassard said: “He’s had a good season, we’ve got to expect him to be good. He plays the puck well, so we have to be carefeul on the dump ins.”
Derek Dorsett. “We have to throw a lot of pucks on him, he hasn’t played in a while, test him early, especially in the playoffs, where there’s a little more pressure.”
The Rangers are familiar with Mason, having faced him three times during the regular season — though that hardly amounted to great success. The Flyers goalie was very good against the Blueshirts, going 2-1-0 with a .937 save percentage and 2.01 GAA (the strength of those numbers came at Wells Fargo, where Mason went 2-0-0 against New York with a .955 save percentage and 1.50 GAA.)
Friday will mark Mason’s first start of the series — he was sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury in the final weekend of the regular season — though he did play seven minutes in relief of Emery during a 4-1 loss in Game 3.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)