Apr 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
While discussing Henrik Zetterberg‘s return to the Detroit Red Wings fold, PHT noted that there was always a chance for a late swerve. That happened, but it wasn’t related to Zetterberg: apparently Jonas Gustavsson will start instead of Jimmy Howard in Game 4.
(Zetterberg has been confirmed.)
As it turns out, this isn’t a performance-related decision (or at least not a wholly performance-based decision).
This is the latest interesting development in an up-and-down season for “The Monster.” Interestingly enough, this represents his first-ever playoff start in the NHL.
Gustavsson, 29, has dealt with a mixture of good luck (a sparkling 16-5-4 record despite a mediocre .907 save percentage) and bad luck (his unfortunately typical slate of injuries). He has added incentive to play well tonight because he’s fighting for a new contract … whether that be in the NHL or overseas.
One interesting wrinkle is that Milan Lucic noted that the big Swedish goalie looked better than he ever had against Boston earlier this season. If that carries over, Zetterberg won’t be the only key Swede back in the Red Wings lineup on Thursday.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)