Mason will start for Flyers in Game 4 vs. Rangers

Apr 24, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers goalie Steve Mason reaches for the puck during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the San Jose Sharks, Thursday, Feb. 27, 2014, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Tom Mihalek) AP

Not a huge surprise, but Steve Mason is officially starting for the Flyers in Game 4 of their opening round series against the Rangers on Friday.

Philly head coach Craig Berube confirmed the move this morning, marking a return to the starter’s goal for Mason after Ray Emery got the nod for the opening three games of the series. Mason had been sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury in the final weekend of the regular season, but did come on in relief of Emery for the final seven minutes of Tuesday’s 4-1 loss.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Flyers respond to Mason’s return. He was solid this year, going 33-18-7 with a .917 save percentage and 2.50 GAA. More importantly, though, might be his splits against the Rangers this year — the 25-year-old went 2-1-0 with a .937 save percentage and 2.01 GAA, with both of those wins coming at Wells Fargo.

1. ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM

He’s not the BEST goalie in the world, but I liked his great effort this year (although I’m still split down the middle on the Holtby beating) and respect the hell out of him for returning from the hip condition to have a solid NHL career. So it pains me to say this, but I hope game 3 was the last we ever see of Emery in a Flyers net.

• hockey412 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I’m interested to see this…the article only mentions his performance this year, but in the one prior playoff series he played in, Mason had quite a case of the Fleuries…

I’m sure some of it wasn’t all on him.

• kastout11 - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM

How many years ago was that? Several. I think he is more mature and a better goalie now then he was then. I still feel that the Flyers offense will come around and they will win the series in 7. I initially felt that Mason would only miss the 1st 2 games of this series, but unfortunately, he missed game 3 also, so that changes my prediction from Flyers in 6 to Flyers in 7. Yes, I do feel that they can/will beat the Rangers in game 7 at MSG. Aside from Mason being the better goalie, another thing he does is handle the puck well. He can handle the puck, get it to their defensemen and help the Flyers get the puck out of their zone, so the Rangers will not be able to establish the forecheck. Of course, they will need Giroux to pick up his play and they will need some offense from their 2nd line. Brayden Schenn has done nothing so far, Simmonds is out there bustin it, but only had success late in game 2, and Vinnie did not do much in game 3.

• hockey412 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM

It was a lot of years ago, yes. And I’m not saying that I don’t think he’ll do well. Only saying I’m interested.

• ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I’m hoping we see the Mason we saw this regular season, obviously. But what sucks is that we’ll have the same mystery about his playoff performance next year if he performs poorly this year. In my head, I’m sure I’ll be asking “was it the injury? or is Mason just not a playoff goalie?” Unless he performs well, I don’t think this postseason will answer any questions about his future playoff abilities.

• ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

kastout, well he’s kinda had the same horrible results in, well, every regular season SINCE then, so I don’t think anybody has the answer to whether he can hold it down in the playoffs yet.

• ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM

“every regular season SINCE then”

i meant aside from this one.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Yeah Bob had a case of the Beach Ballitis when he played in the playoffs for Philly a few years back too. Looks like he’s doing a bit better, No?

• hockey412 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM

He sure is! At .900 and 3.22, he’s the second best goalie in that series.

• narfmoo12 - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM

There’s a huge difference between Mason playing poorly as a rookie in 2009 against the defending Stanley Cup champs and what Fleury has done the last 4 years.

• hockey412 - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM

That was actually my point – no, there isn’t.

• hockey412 - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM

(but in all honesty, I’m not knocking the guy, just saying I’m interested…whether it’s better or worse than Fleury’s record, is another story – Fluery’s won a cup, also…I’m really just saying I interested to see).

• narfmoo12 - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM

So you think a 7 seed facing the defending champs and being beaten soundly is the same as Fleury choking against the Flyers when they were the Vegas favorites to win the Cup and choking against Columbus in a 2/7 matchup?

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I’m looking at statistics, Narf. But give me a goalie that MAKES the playoffs over a Calder winner that fizzles that quick (that’s a personal opinion). Fleury has only let two bad ones in vs. Columbus. Columbus is a damn good team.

2. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Still not gonna make a difference if the Flyers can’t get quality shot past the Rangers 5 goalies.

3. sjsharks66 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Smart choice by the Flyers.

4. joey4id - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

chaser44, you may want to thank the NHL for the series’ schedule. Two days off while at home may turn out to be a blessing. BTW, the NHL doesn’t determine when the buildings in each city are available for an NHL game to played. Sounds to me the events planner in Philly & NY should be the subject of your criticism. Flyers had 4 days off before the start of the playoffs, plus 2 days off between games 1 and 2, and games 3 and 4. Less than 100 miles between both cities.

chaser44 – Apr 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    What a joke the NHL made itself with this schedule. ONLY ONE SERIES has back to back games, the flyers vs rangers and its games 6 and 7 in different cities. Not only that the last 3 are in 4 days, no other series has that either. Looks like they want to make sure CINDY plays a worn out team in round two if she can beat the jackets.

• chaser44 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Wow you really have a life there buddy, you saved that comment to reply a week later? Its not a matter of me being a flyers fan, the rangers have the same right to gripe about our series being the only one in the first round with back to back games and 3 in 4 nights. Its not a matter of the building being available, if you knew anything at all, they already rescheduled a concert to make the arena available for the schedule as handed down by the league. Any act that schedules the venue before series or team schedules are released has it written into their contracts with the Wells fargo center/ comcast spectracore that they are subject to date change for flyers/sixers playoff games. My original point still stands, why did they pick this series out of all of them to give back to back and 3 out of 4. You cant tell me back to back games 6 and 7 traveling(regardless of it being philly to NYc) makes sense when no one else has a back to back game. I just thought it was curious seeing as who the potential opponent for either the flyers or rangers could be. I do appreciate you holding onto that comment for over a week just so you could strike at the precise time to get all the thumbs up you so badly crave. Well done sir, you sure bested me on this one.

• ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:06 PM

“you saved that comment to reply a week later?”

yes. yes he did. he does that.

your reply is glorious though.

• joey4id - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I have a good memory when it comes to stupid comments. So, performing a quick search takes but a few seconds. Don’t you worry one bit about my life. I’m actually being paid while I’m on here. I can see how that’s a concept far beyond your comprehension, but it’s my reality. This site uses “reply buttons, and alerts” so we can be efficient. Clicks is what drives their business model, so, they have to make it easy for us. Did you just learn a few things?

The teams don’t have to accept the schedules there are given. The teams are just as responsible as the league. You mentioned it yourself that a concert was rescheduled.

• maalea - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Bettman addressed this before game 3, His point was that this series had the least amount of travel and NHL players are used to playing in back to back games.

5. iceman8383 - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Let’s Go Rangers!!!

• laxman1944 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM

“Talk to me Goose”…..

6. gnashty - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Mason will help, obviously. He is a better goalie and much better at moving the puck. Having him out there will benefit in more than on phase of the game. Flyers do need to find a way to get more shots on net – fake a shot and then shoot like the Devils did a couple years ago. Giroux guaranteed a victory, and he is 1 for 1 on crazy guarantees this season. GO FLYERS!

7. muckleflugga - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM

joey4id – Apr 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    Only a self-effacing insipid twat, possessed of an overpowering need for attention realized in abuse and contempt from his peers, would quote himself in these boards. Quoting other posters is also held to be contemptible by anyone with an I.Q. over fifty eight. What dreary lives. Shouldn’t they be taking care of their accuracy ratings instead. 🐔

• ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I gotta disagree with your points on quoting others. If you remember something ridiculous that somebody said, you’re allowed to bring it up. joey just does it too much and only does it to start arguments. I try to avoid doing it, but if somebody’s an overconfident ass about something, they should be called out when they’re proven to be an idiot. Also, I tend not to do it to people that aren’t regulars on PHT, because I don’t wanna just rip on somebody that will never read my comment.

but yeah, you’re really coming up with a lot of PHT rules lately. why do you feel the need to impose your will on the way we comment?

• ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

you beef so much about people correcting spelling, yet you’re correcting everything BUT spelling. idgi

• joey4id - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I’m fairly certain that your intent here is not to show any type of support on my behalf. However, you don’t completely disagree with quoting others so we have something in common. Good! You may think I do it too much, and that’s fine, but that is really subjective. However, citing that I only do so to start arguments is an exaggeration. But! That’s your opinion, and I respect that.

I’ve asked your boss to give you less tasks so you can spend more time on PHT. Did my request take some load off?

• ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM

if you didn’t do it to start an argument, why don’t you just make your point without quoting. it doesn’t make it any more the correct context just because you reposted a comment from days ago. you were slightly off-topic to begin with, why do you have to call somebody else out in the process? just make your point and stop starting fights.

• joey4id - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Again! I respect your opinion. I made my point, and won’t engage in a long drawn out exchange about how you or any other commenter think I should reply. If PHT wants to regulate what we can and how we can make a point then they can inform us, and I for one will oblige. They know how to contact any one of us if they feel the need.

8. joey4id - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:24 PM

flugga, I’m 14 years old and am in bottom set in all the lessons at school. I took an IQ test and got 58. It’s the highest I ever got in a test. is this score good?

9. laxman1944 - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Mason will help but they have bigger problems to solve like getting a shot or two past The King…

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM

They just hafta be smarter with the puck. Countless times in game 3 they attempted to blast through the shot blockers, as if the puck would magically float thru them. It has to change. Also they can’t go down by two early AGAIN bc that just allows the Rags to park all 5 guys in front of the net. And Mason should help with that bc Emery seriously took the air out of the crowd/team with that terrible first goal.

I feel much better with Mason in net but, just like the last 3 years, I dont have a ton of confidence against the Rangers. Rags beat the Flyers, Flyers beat the Pens, Pens beat the Rags, it’s how it has been.

10. muckleflugga - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM

ibieiniid

as a rule i like to stay on topic, but will follow attacking threads from juvenile one or two line posters who have no equipment beyond name calling and other abuse popular in junior high schools with which to respond … evident time and again in the generation x-box, twitter cum facebook generation … they’re all about that which is facile rather than substance in topic at hand

some get it, and engage debate in kind … rarely … most are offended because the vacuous tend to be easily offended, not being armed with wit or humour in rejoinder … present company not excluded

i feel a need to rein some in when their personal interest invades and dominates threads accordingly

you and joey4id invariably engage in flame-wars noticeably wrapped in self-importance and conceit … believing your exchanges in their personal nature, have any interest to topic in the hand, while capturing any interest from in the least, myself –unlike most, i do not presume to speak for the community at large but will speak out when you come into my space

each in your turn, have good things to say for the most part, and seem possessed of a normal intelligence … sometimes, you present as unconscionable bores relying continually on quoting yourselves while getting into the he said she said he said you said tripe [ why bother … the library of congress has opened a new wing in your honour ]

you’d be laughed off reddit

finally, you both claim to be employed, you an engineer of all things … i’ve tracked your responses and time taken to dig-up quotable material … if you’re employed you’re stealing your employer’s time

i’m happily retired ten years on … i employed illustrators, design architects, engineers and ergonomics engineers in various manifestations of my design studio … we typically worked non-stop, twelve hour days with sunday off

if either of you had worked for me, your computers would have mapped your time and output to the second … you’d have been warned on day two then been fired on day three if your behaviour persisted … closing pay would have been deducted accordingly

in here, your wasting your employers time, but more importantly, your wasting my time

clue in

• ibieiniid - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM

when you’ve fully automated via VBA and AutoLISP for AutoCAD what were formerly three jobs at a medium-sized company in your first 2 years and personally trained those 3 employees to operate CNC lathes, CNC 5-axis milling machines, and water jets so as to not have to lay them off, you kinda get free reign to do what you want on the computer from there on out. don’t make assumptions about how I spend my time. and from what I’ve noticed lately, you spend about the same percentage of your time on here criticizing others as joey does.

but I’ll try to remember to arm myself with wit or humour whenever I think muckle’s reading.

11. muckleflugga - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

ibieiniid

i’ll not prolong the debate further than this, but were you capable of reading and comprehending my comment, my involvement is typically restricted to invited involvement … unless a pair of self-interested bores take-up my time repeatedly with their cherished stupidity, after which i will comment

that said, time spent following and commenting on blogs is time wasted for an employer paying salary or wages to anyone so engaged … it is by definition stealing time for those employed to do something else, regardless of other achievement, held in and of itself as rationalization for theft

i have served on labour boards and arbitration panels in my retirement, and a goodly portion of our work involved a growing instance of employees discharged for using work time to play on the internet … facebook games, twitter and email leave wide time-stamped tracks

aside from practical issues, there are attitude and moral issues at play that are considered, particularly when weighing an offending employee’s testimony

most of the employers involved are either government or private companies employing work force constrained by collective agreements … oil and gas companies spy on employee computer use ruthlessly, and american companies make no bones about the practice and have employees sign affidavit accordingly

many companies simply throttle open internet on their intranet

it is my belief, invariably supported in-panel, employees rationalizing theft of time playing on computers during work time, have problems with ethics, and will likely rationalize theft elsewhere

i have a pro-labour bias, but as held by the like-minded, blind support of blatant offenders dilutes defence of legitimately aggrieved employees

bye bye, don’t let the door hit you on the ass on the way out

Babcock has his work cut out in Toronto
Top 10 NHL Player Searches