Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
If you’re a an of themes, Wednesday was all about first-round series getting tied up 2-2, mostly in dramatic ways.
The Columbus Blue Jackets probably took the cake from a jaw-dropping standpoint, raging back against the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Dallas Stars didn’t need overtime but left the Anaheim Ducks gritting their teeth. Finally, Patrick Kane added to his big-game legacy with a 4-3 OT winner to lock his Chicago Blackhawks up 2-2 with the St. Louis Blues.
The ‘Hawks two biggest names enjoyed outstanding nights overall. Kane collected two goals and one assist overall while Jonathan Toews generated two assists of his own.
Chicago comes back this time
Remarkably, this is the third game in this series that ended 4-3 in overtime.
That said, in a bit of a role reversal, it was the Blackhawks managing to send a tight game to overtime with a late goal this time around. Granted, the tally Bryan Bickell managed wasn’t in the absolute last minute/seconds like the Blues’ goals in Game 1 and 2 – his came with a little less than four minutes remaining – yet it still got the job done.
Chicago generated a 2-0 lead in the second period, but goals by Vladimir Tarasenko and Maxim Lapierre tied things up 2-2 (all in the second period). Tarasenko’s second goal gave St. Louis a 3-2 lead before Bickell tied it.
(Not bad work by Tarasenko, actually … especially for a guy who wasn’t supposed to return from wrist surgery this soon.)
The Blackhawks and Blues now shift back to St. Louis for Game 5. So far, home teams have won every game in this series, yet each victory has been by a narrow margin (Chicago’s 2-0 win in Game 3 represented the largest margin and only regulation finish).
It’s silly to expect overtime dramatics, yet this series screamed “first-round classic” on paper. So far, it hasn’t been far from that.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Washington needs its bottom-six forwards to keep contributing in order to go deep into the playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT
It was his first shutout of the 2015 playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s part of the leadup to the Detroit vs. Colorado outdoor game.
May 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Andre Burakovsky got his first career playoff point.
May 4, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
“Without that, goaltending and team defense can only take you so far.”
May 4, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
All three have won the Stanley Cup.
May 4, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Her husband faces domestic violence charges.
May 4, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
May 4, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT
And they’ll gladly keep taking man advantage opportunities, too.
May 4, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
“Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him.”
May 4, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Big news from the Devils.
May 4, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
And Glen Sather isn’t sure he’ll ever permit it, either.
May 4, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
“I have to get to the inside; that’s the biggest thing.”
May 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The Ducks have been deadly on the power play, unlike during the regular season.
May 4, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Youth-laden squad continues to impress.
May 4, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT
“If it means allowing players to go to free agency, if it means making players sweat it out on what their deal’s going to be, he’s the priority for us.”
May 4, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Virtanen was the sixth overall pick in the 2014 draft.
May 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Jets’ AHL team will play at the MTS Centre next season.
May 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
He’s hoping to “find a way to get a bigger role.”
May 4, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
“Prust has engaged himself in something that’s going to take him into an area where he doesn’t want to be part of.”
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)