Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EST
If you’re a an of themes, Wednesday was all about first-round series getting tied up 2-2, mostly in dramatic ways.
The Columbus Blue Jackets probably took the cake from a jaw-dropping standpoint, raging back against the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Dallas Stars didn’t need overtime but left the Anaheim Ducks gritting their teeth. Finally, Patrick Kane added to his big-game legacy with a 4-3 OT winner to lock his Chicago Blackhawks up 2-2 with the St. Louis Blues.
The ‘Hawks two biggest names enjoyed outstanding nights overall. Kane collected two goals and one assist overall while Jonathan Toews generated two assists of his own.
Chicago comes back this time
Remarkably, this is the third game in this series that ended 4-3 in overtime.
That said, in a bit of a role reversal, it was the Blackhawks managing to send a tight game to overtime with a late goal this time around. Granted, the tally Bryan Bickell managed wasn’t in the absolute last minute/seconds like the Blues’ goals in Game 1 and 2 – his came with a little less than four minutes remaining – yet it still got the job done.
Chicago generated a 2-0 lead in the second period, but goals by Vladimir Tarasenko and Maxim Lapierre tied things up 2-2 (all in the second period). Tarasenko’s second goal gave St. Louis a 3-2 lead before Bickell tied it.
(Not bad work by Tarasenko, actually … especially for a guy who wasn’t supposed to return from wrist surgery this soon.)
The Blackhawks and Blues now shift back to St. Louis for Game 5. So far, home teams have won every game in this series, yet each victory has been by a narrow margin (Chicago’s 2-0 win in Game 3 represented the largest margin and only regulation finish).
It’s silly to expect overtime dramatics, yet this series screamed “first-round classic” on paper. So far, it hasn’t been far from that.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
All the blockbuster details have been updated.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Sunday’s expected starting goalies.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
Could Philly move him by Monday?
Mar 1, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
The Islanders winger was February’s best first-year player.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
A decent catch for a rising team.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EST
Winnipeg faces Los Angeles on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Mar 1, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
A quick rundown of waiver transactions on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Anaheim readies for a road-heavy March.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:17 AM EST
Three of his season’s six goals came in the last three games.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:35 AM EST
The first-round pick was a little too rich, it seems.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:37 AM EST
They’ll play again on March 8.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:03 AM EST
San Jose completed its disastrous month with a loss to Ottawa.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:42 AM EST
In other words, he’s probably not going to be dealt before the trade deadline.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:52 PM EST
The Coyotes might not be done dealing yet.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST
Steve Mason was solid in his first start since undergoing knee surgery.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EST
He’s continuing to make his case for the art Trophy.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:12 PM EST
Chicago also added Kimmo Timonen on Friday.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Stakes are high for Philadelphia after Boston and Florida won.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EST
His leadership and the confidence that he brings might provide Florida with a big boost.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)