Apr 24, 2014, 4:38 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have recalled one of their top prospects just prior to Friday’s game against the Rangers.
Scott Laughton, who’s OHL Oshawa club was knocked out of playoff contention on Wednesday, has been brought up but reportedly won’t play against New York in Game 4 of the opening-round series, per head coach Craig Berube.
Laughton, the 20th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, has enjoyed a tremendous campaign. He scored 40 goals and 87 points in 54 games for the Generals this season, and was named Team Canada’s captain at the 2014 World Juniors.
It’ll be interesting to see if the Flyers work him into the mix. Though he’s only 19, Laughton is thought to be one of the more NHL-ready junior players and does have five games of big-league experience under his belt, having made the Flyers out of training camp to start the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
According to CapGeek, the Flyers could also slide his entry-level contract to next season if he appears in nine or fewer playoff games — so the opportunity to use Laughton as a jolt of energy appears to be there, should the Flyers go that route.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)