Apr 24, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have recalled one of their top prospects just prior to Friday’s game against the Rangers.
Scott Laughton, who’s OHL Oshawa club was knocked out of playoff contention on Wednesday, has been brought up but reportedly won’t play against New York in Game 4 of the opening-round series, per head coach Craig Berube.
Laughton, the 20th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, has enjoyed a tremendous campaign. He scored 40 goals and 87 points in 54 games for the Generals this season, and was named Team Canada’s captain at the 2014 World Juniors.
It’ll be interesting to see if the Flyers work him into the mix. Though he’s only 19, Laughton is thought to be one of the more NHL-ready junior players and does have five games of big-league experience under his belt, having made the Flyers out of training camp to start the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
According to CapGeek, the Flyers could also slide his entry-level contract to next season if he appears in nine or fewer playoff games — so the opportunity to use Laughton as a jolt of energy appears to be there, should the Flyers go that route.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)