Apr 24, 2014, 4:38 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have recalled one of their top prospects just prior to Friday’s game against the Rangers.
Scott Laughton, who’s OHL Oshawa club was knocked out of playoff contention on Wednesday, has been brought up but reportedly won’t play against New York in Game 4 of the opening-round series, per head coach Craig Berube.
Laughton, the 20th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, has enjoyed a tremendous campaign. He scored 40 goals and 87 points in 54 games for the Generals this season, and was named Team Canada’s captain at the 2014 World Juniors.
It’ll be interesting to see if the Flyers work him into the mix. Though he’s only 19, Laughton is thought to be one of the more NHL-ready junior players and does have five games of big-league experience under his belt, having made the Flyers out of training camp to start the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
According to CapGeek, the Flyers could also slide his entry-level contract to next season if he appears in nine or fewer playoff games — so the opportunity to use Laughton as a jolt of energy appears to be there, should the Flyers go that route.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 1
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 6
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)