Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink

Apr 24, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT

The Boston Bruins fought back from a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2 in OT in Game 4 on Thursday, pushing the Detroit Red Wings to the brink of elimination with a 3-1 series score.

Niklas Kronwall and Pavel Datsyuk combined for one-goal, one-assist nights to give the Red Wings a lead that Boston was able to scrape away. Torey Krug‘s power-play goal in the middle frame helped the Bruins enter the third period down a manageable 2-1. Carl Soderberg‘s nice play set up a Milan Lucic tying goal that sent the game into overtime.

The Bruins pressed the Red Wings repeatedly in the overtime period, generating a 12-3 shot advantage in that time. It was a weird one that beat Jonas Gustavsson in a surprise start, as a Dougie Hamilton shot took a weird bounce and the goal was credited to Jarome Iginla (his first goal of the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs).

Comic relief?

For those who don’t appreciate the pesky style of Brad Marchand, he had some tough luck on Thursday. At least one of the shots probably missed the net because of Jimmy Howard/bounces off of other players’ sticks, yet this montage will still be pretty sweet for Marchand haters:

The Bruins can probably laugh that off thanks to their eventual win, though.

Looking forward

Boston is now looking like a serious force in winning three straight games, including both contests at Joe Louis Arena. They have some serious incentive to finish this series off in Boston in Game 5, as the Montreal Canadiens are already awaiting their second-round opponent after sweeping the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Meanwhile, the Red Wings find themselves one game away from another first-round exit despite showing some fight on Thursday night. The bad news (they’ve been surprisingly mortal in “Hockeytown”) is softened a bit by the good: they’ve been formidable on the road this season. They took Game 1 in Boston and went 21-15-5 in away games during the regular season.

It won’t be easy, but the Red Wings have been doing things the hard way this season.

101 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. sixchr - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM

The Bruins absolutely stole this game. If it wasn’t for Rask they would have been blown out. How they could just not show up for the first 30 minutes when Detroit threw the kitchen sink at them is just embarrassing. This better serve as a wake up call because the odds are they won’t get an act of God in their favor if they choke this away like they did last year.

• edzo82270 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Respectfully, Marchand missing the WIDE OPEN net twice and Smith hitting the post doesn’t mean it was stolen. Just good defensive hockey when the Wings were buzzing the offensive zone.

• cadlow - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM

the wings played well but lest not forget smith hit the post on a great net drive and Marshon’s imitation of Kelly on those two empty netters.
      This should be over on Saturday. Detroits only chance is if the B’s give them the game.

2. shutton83 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Tuukka Rask deserves so much credit tonight, that 1st period was in my opinion the worst played period by the Bruins all series. This game could have easily been 3-0 coming out of the 1st but Rask kept the Bruins in it and not to mention the breakaway save in OT.

3. edzo82270 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Keep your heads up Wings fans. You play the game the right way. Enjoyable to see a hard fought series between 2 historic franchises. Love the B’s and love Original 6 hockey. Nothing better.

• amerika1313 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM

You realize that it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Boston to face Original Six matchups all the way through to the Finals? Detroit, Montreal, Rangers, Chicago. How cool would that be? Love this series so far. Good, physical, grinding hockey with some bursts of amazing skill and some pretty darn good goaltending.

• amerika1313 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

And to be fair, the same could be true for Detroit, of course. Would still be pretty cool. Just not as cool for Bruins fans…

4. bsfan77 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM

They were asleep until half way through the 2nd. After that the B’s dominated(except the break away) the game. Wings were forced to play a more physical game. In ot, the B’s were winning all the board battles. Gust played a great game. B’s need to come out as strong as they finish. Go B’s!

5. bsfan77 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Great clean game. Hard fought battle. Great hockey to watch.

6. sabatimus - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Terrible officiating. Chara committed at least 3 uncalled penalties, and the Wings committed at least 3 uncalled holding the stick penalties.

• c9castine - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:44 AM

not to menton his ridiculous dive that led to their first goal.

• drewzducks - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:53 AM

We will defer to your expertise on the art of all things diving.

• c9castine - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:54 AM

what? having eyes?

• drewzducks - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:56 AM

No, an avid follower of the Pens would know all there is to the art of diving, just not good goaltending.

• c9castine - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:59 AM

the art of diving? you sound like an idiot. chara flopped himself to the ice. giving me 9 year old insults isnt going to change that.

• drewzducks - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM

I’m afraid to ask why you’re so familiar with 9 year olds. The Chara play was textbook interference.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:09 AM

And honorless goon Thornton gets away with WAY too much. They should call every. single. infraction.

• budzo83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Haha, honorless goon. Honorless like Abdelkader when he was running his mouth and being the fake tough guy that he is at the end of 2nd? Thornton approached him and let him know he could do something about it if he so chose to annnnnnd he didn’t. Honorless like that?

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Right man…here’s how I’d imagine that convo went:

Thornton – Dude, punch me in the face so I can keep my job.

JA – What? Are you an idiot? The periods over, get the eff away from me.

Thornton – COME ON! I need the people of Boston to like me.

JA – I can SMELL the CTE on you. The people of Boston don’t give an eff about that, do they?

Thornton – ok…we’re still friends though, right? Call me later.

JA – Just get the eff away from me, you honorless goon.

That’s what I was lip-reading, anyway.

• matt14gg - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM

If you actually ask players around the league (you know, the people whose opinions on this kind of thing matter) Thornton is one of the most respected players in the game and NO ONE would call him a goon. If you think he’s a “goon” then you have no idea what that term (in hockey parlance) means.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

And you asked players around the league? Or you have reference to a web-site where they were poled or something?

That’s idiot. He’s pure, 100% honorless goon. He’s proven it, and written his own story…only Boston fans read it as a happy one…but these are the same fans that don’t truly give an eff about the guy. Any player who even recognizes the name knows him as a goon, bud. Sorry.

• handsomeralph56 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

your username should be idon’tknowhockey412 because your hockey knowledge is that of a newborn.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM

because Thornton can skate up to a guy over and over in FRONT of the ref and punch the guy (no facewash) without fear of penalty, and I call him an honorless goon for it….I have the hockey knowledge of a newborn? Maybe you’ve got your Thornton underoos in a twist.

• handsomeralph56 - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Pretty sure he tapped abdelkader on the shoulder twice, really I have no idea what game you are watching, the Kings-Sharks game maybe? There was very little if any punches thrown during that game last night.

• hockey412 - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM

There was another punch thrown, not on abdelkader…it was mentioned and quickly rushed over when the announcer saw it was dirty. Happened right in front of the ref. I believe it was right at the same time that Campbell boarded Helm.

• budzo83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM

The only people that consider him a goon are people that don’t like Boston. It’s a total cliche at this point how you can’t listen to a national broadcast without hearing his name mentioned amongst the few fourth-liners/fighters that can actually play the game. Homeboy’s got 2 Stanley Cup rings and is working on a third and will go with anyone in the league who wants to drop ‘em. Pretty sure he’s not the one with something to prove.

P.S. Not sure where you got “Any player who even recognizes the name knows him as a goon, bud.” I didn’t see any links or players “poled” to substantiate this claim. It’s poor form to criticize someone for something and then do the same thing.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Poor form is getting away with the SH8T he’s allowed to get away with. There is no excuse for letting a known thug run guys after the play and throw punches…doing this is really tasteless, classless, honorless poor form, especially when the goon damn near set a record with this suspension this year. But yeah….I’m sure the other players just go on and on about how he’s such a good guy, right? ARE YOU INSANE.

• budzo83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Sounds like your issue is with the referees for not calling it.

And if you’re only going to reference one incident that resulted in a suspension that ” damn near set a record” you should actually take a peek at the record book; there’s a suspension that got a few more games and is little more well known from a guy that is presently wearing a winged-wheel. I won’t spoil the surprise for you, but if that is your rationale, it appears that there are worse people in the world… (hint: his name rhymes with Bodd Tertuzzi).

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Agreed, not a fan of his either, but I will say that he doesn’t play like a goon at this point. I realize the incident in question, but I don’t even think he played goon-like (like Thornton) back then. Either way – not a fan of his, or Detroits, I just get sick when I watch the punches thrown by Thornton/McQuaid/Lucic/Chara/Boychuk with no call. After a while it makes you wonder why they are so lenient on them. $$.

7. bsfan77 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:36 PM

The officiating has been absolutely horrible in every game of the playoffs this season. Bad calls, missed calls. Horrible!

8. mshantz22 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM

After seeing Marchand go after Zetterberg all game, I honestly hope that rat-faced little hemroid gets hit in the face with the puck. I understand hard-hitting playoff hockey, but when you are constantly throwing cross-checks and punches, you’ve crossed the line.

• sabatimus - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Guess you were watching a different game than the rest of us.

• bsfan77 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Exactly! Which game were you watching?

• sixchr - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:09 AM

I saw a lot of people whining about this tonight. I didn’t realize players coming off of injuries were untouchable. Did I miss a rule change or something?

• autorot - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:26 AM

If you wanted him to be safe, then you shouldn’t have thrown him on the ice with a bunch of bears.

• budzo83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Didn’t realize a red jersey was a “not cleared for contact” jersey.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Don’t waste your breath, bud…Boston fans don’t see it – I’m completely convinced that they simply don’t see how dirty the team is. It’s not that they see it and choose to ignore it, the fact that any Bruin could do wrong in any way, even off the ice, is such a foreign concept that they don’t see it. Marchand could’ve been cross-checking their parents and they’d be like “YEAH but I didn’t know that red apron meant no contact, ma.

• budzo83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM

The Bruins are a team who’s success is completely dependent on an aggressive forecheck, strong defense, physical play, and intimidation (and currently a very good goalie). Do they cross the line sometimes? Absolutely. Do I get tired of some of the antics? Sure. Did they invent this style of play? Absolutely not. Every era has a team that has played and won with this style, and that’s the key: They win. They will gladly put on the black hat if that’s what works for them. It’s a lot easier to get people to hate you than it is to get them to like you. If you hate them, I’m sure that suits them just fine.

If some guy at work did his job just as well if not better than me, physically intimidated me, I saw him get away with things that I thought were unfair, and he kept getting rewarded, I’d probably be mad as hell (look at Buffalo; they derailed their rebuild trying to get “tougher” because Lucic ran Miller). So I can appreciate why people despise the Bruins. However, as Ken Holland said “this is a man’s league.” I just happen to like a physical brand of hockey. If you like a speed game or a finesse game, more power to you…. Just don’t complain when your team can’t handle the rough stuff.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Actually I like this post. I think we just disagree on how much of the rough stuff is ok. I don’t like the stuff after the whistle, or the obviously illegal play that goes unpenalized. Rough stuff, if it’s legal, is ok by me. Like the Orpik hit on Eriksson…my only confusion is, most Bruin’s fans could NOT handle the rough stuff there….is it hypocritical? Just a tad?

9. crusty14 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Sixchr, did you ever think that the wings just came out flying, and that was the reason boston struggled through the first?

But as the game went on, they took over and wore down the wings. I don’t see why you would think it was embarrassing, there was no panic, they played smart and imposed their will as the game went on. There was no need for an act of god! ( never mind that god doesn’t exist, only in fables!)

• gorilla2nine - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Judging by your inability to understand the written word. No wonder God doesn’t exist in your life.
      The “act of God” he was referring to was the game seven comeback against Toronto.

• crusty14 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM

i understand the written word quite well, thank you. I choose not to read comic books written 2000 years ago and refer to them as gospel, or rely on them for life, or in hope that my favourite hockey team wins. this god you speak of also allows and promotes child, cancer, abuse and creates false hopes in the minds of the weak, that is why god doesn’t exist in my life, nor should it anyone else’s !

• gorilla2nine - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM

crusty14
        Your ignorance is wrought with evil.
        I wish you happiness and clarity.

• crusty14 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Firstly, Im not ignorant, secondly, nor am i evil. I don’t need a religious comic book to live my life the right way. I live by the rule of be a good person and treat others the way you would like to be treated. Not because a book told me to, but because its a civil way to go through life. Plus it leaves my sundays free, and i don’t have to donate money to a fraudulous cult! Thanks for the happiness and clarity, same to you!

• gorilla2nine - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM

About God you’re ignorant, I promise you.
        I don’t believe you are being civil nor good when attacking the very notion that God exist.
        If your belief is God does not exist as you stated. The mention of him should not offend you. I’m not offended that my daughter thinks the Easter Bunny is real.
        The vitriol you use in attacking faith is offensive and you should expect rebuke anywhere there are believers.

• sixchr - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:11 AM

The Wings threw the kitchen sink at Boston. But don’t tell me that Boston didn’t slog their way through the first 30 minutes of the game. Rask kept them in it and totally bailed them out until the first line finally woke up they took over. They didn’t play well to start the game, don’t let the final result delude you.

10. bsfan77 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:42 PM

He wasnt all over Zetterberg. If you arent ready for physical play you shouldnt be on the ice. Zet played a great game and a lot of minutes. Marchand wasnt even on the ice with him half the time. Zet’s line was matched against Lucic’s line.

11. ironmd778 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:45 PM

I thought you haters said Detroit was going to crush Boston?? Eh, not so much.

• autorot - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Woah the best team in the league is beating an 8 seed? Who could’ve seen that coming?

12. cutelittleguy02 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM

No call on Marchand… Clearly high stick in the throat. Wow. The refs and Boston Bruins a perfect couple on ice. The refs want Boston to win for sure.

• sixchr - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Because the Red Wings couldn’t have been called for about 100 holding penalties.

• dentals1 - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Or Interference.

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Boston gets away with murder out there, every game. Jacobs’ billions hard at work.

13. cutelittleguy02 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Boston fans stop blaming the refs for Montreal sweep. Yours are not good either. However, Montreal won in 4 . And Boston still one or 2 to go. We are waiting for you.

• charlie24zz - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Hear hear. I wonder if bruins fans know how hypocritical they and their organization are. Their captain is a ogre puke…if he wasn’t 6’9, he would suck at hockey. Don’t even get me started on Marchand. Bring on Boston, HABS are 3-1 against them this season and we’re going to take it to them…We’re in Rask’s head. RASK RASK RASK RASK RASK RASK RASK RASK RASK

• FreewayJim - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Detroit was 3-1 against Boston too, how’s that working out for them?

RSDMS = Regular Season Doesn’t Mean Squat!

• hockey412 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Been saying that for years…they have no clue how hypocritical they sound. It’s nuts.

• charlie24zz - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:10 AM

So you’re not denying that your team slashes, dives, and disrespects their way through games? Nice acronym buddy. Say that 5 times fast hahahahahahaha

• drewzducks - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:55 AM

So he’s denying that “hustler team” does everything the Habs have perfected the last decade.

• charlie24zz - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Buddy we beat you twice this season with Budaj in nets. Sit down.

• the8man - Apr 25, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Who is we? Were you on the ice? I think you just watched fella. Still work to do against this solid and proud Detroit team. I can’t imagine a tougher first round opponent to prepare a team for the rest of the way. So I’ll table the Montreal-Boston talk until the series actually happens.

• sixchr - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:14 AM

Yup, Montreal swept Tampa. A team that was missing it’s Vezina candidate goalie (his backup was absolutely horrendous) and you needed bad penalties to go your way in Montreal (because that never happens). So yeah, pretty fraudulent “sweep” if you ask me.

• charlie24zz - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Yup, Boston is already getting daddy Campbell and Jacobs to cover their dirt. I’m reading and hearing it all over again, neanderthal intolerant comments from boobs like Felger and Mazz in Boston who make Edwards sound like Mother Theresa. Already getting the cement head Baahstan fans riled-up against Montreals diving.

It amazes me that anyone, even a Baahstan fan can’t see the extent to which the rat Maachann, queen Lucy, Charenstein and others on that filthy team practice all of what they whine about. It’s going to be a hard series, especially with the favoritism and thrown away whistles when we want to skate and Baahstan wants to rape us. Shame, I like hockey, but Beetman prefers WWE!

14. billiam55 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:42 AM

MONTREAL AND BOSTON! WHAT A SERIES THATLL BE!

15. trinityeagle - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:50 AM

I was actually at this game. There was one shift in particular (there was a penalty on 86 Boston on the play later on) where Marchand was nowhere near the puck the entire shift and just followed around Zetterberg slashing him in the back. He followed Zetterberg all the way to the Wings bench before they were separated by the linesmen. It was just one shift, but it was the most blatant disrespect of another player I have ever seen in a game of hockey (outside of Bertuzzi-Moore, and a couple other plays like that). I understand playing tough and that injuries happen, but just being a jerk is way too far. Luckily, Marchand did not continue to do that.

• budzo83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:00 PM

You don’t watch much playoff hockey, do you? I’m not an advocate of Marchant’s behavior, but if he’s not getting called for it, why would he stop? The Lady Bing is a regular season award; you win at all costs come playoff time. If he’s under your skin imagine how much he is under the skin of the guys on the ice playing against him. The bottom line is it’s role and he plays it to a “T”. I tolerate it because he can also chip in 20-30 goals and score some big ones in the playoffs.

Ironically, when Maltby was running around, playing the “rat” role back in the day, everyone in Detroit embraced him.

16. muckleflugga - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:11 AM

the bruins still have to win a fourth game in this series

should they win a fourth game, they’re clearly in trouble after having their flaws opened for all to see

i’m not sure how brackets will fall, but the bruins are being forced to leave much of what they’ll need to advance, on the ice against wings …

too much exhausting skating, too many blatant fouls, too many dives spent … this while officiating crew pools will be divided in two, weeding-out the blind and incompetent and the easily intimidated upon which claude julien teams feed

les canadiens, darlings of every restaurant, pub and sports bar north of the forty ninth, are rested and healing

i rated bruins higher before this series, but after montréal tampa, they no longer rate

god help bruins if wings wring-out another game or two

• autorot - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:35 AM

“i rated bruins higher before this series, but after montreal tampa, they no longer rate”

Oh i didn’t know that tampa with all their postseason experience and lack of a goalie was a tougher team to play than one that has been to the playoffs 23 times and is coached by the guy with the most playoff wins.

We’re all happy that your sitting, waiting, getting soft. Ready to be chewed up by the beasts of the east.

17. muckleflugga - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM

and then there’s canucks30

defying science while proving a head of cabbage is in fact capable of logging into a computer …

researchers are waiting to see if lack of opposing thumbs and a prehensile tail will inhibit its ability to advance beyond snorting mono syllabic replies delivered after much exertion, into three word, largely incomprehensible text

ugh ghhh slob slobbb ugh uhhh hu er …?

18. c9castine - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:47 AM

nice dive chara performed there for the first goal power play.

big bad chara doesnt even get touched by bertuzzi goes flopping down to the ice.

must have caught a rut.

• drewzducks - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Was interfered from behind, but you are clearly too blinded with your team’s all too common Spring collapse to see that.

• c9castine - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM

oh yes he sure was all right please excuse me i didnt mean to let you in on reality.

maybe if boston fans like yourself didnt run your mouths so much about how crosby is a diver it wouldnt be so embarrassing for you when plays like that happen time and again.

but i realize denial is the best way to deal with it.

• lionstigersandwingsohmy - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM

All too common spring collapse? Loosing in the playoffs, regardless of round is not a collapse, not making the playoffs is a spring collapse. I am not too familiar with the bruins record over, say the last 23 years, but it must be much better than the Wing’s, based on your comments. I guess Boston must have been to more than 6 cup finals and won more than 4 of them. I am sure that they never missed the playoffs in that time as well, because that would truly be a collapse. One other thing, even if the Wings loose this round, I say making the playoffs in a rebuild year is amazing, but again I am sure the bruins never had a rebuilding year in the last 23, and if they did, I am sure they won the cup that year.

• drewzducks - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Lion guy. I was referring to the Pens, not the Wings, who I think is arguably the classiest franchise in the league. I’m old enough to remember when the Wings left the Olympia for the Joe and the Mike O’Connell/Reed Larson trade so again, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Winged Wheel. And trust me, this series isn’t over yet.

• lionstigersandwingsohmy - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM

oops, my bad

• drewzducks - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Isn’t there a Mario pep talk you should be attending. And according to you, “Sid doesn’t dive, he embellishes”. Who is in denial ?

19. muckleflugga - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:16 AM

interesting commentary from bruins supporters, many of whom disappear into the woodwork when bruins lose … like many sharks fans

if bruins and sharks win, the blogs are suddenly populated with fans for both, most with newly minted handles … hopefully we’ll see some good hockey talk

i give it to penguins supporters, they tend to be there through thick and thin, and right or wrong, they give and take with the best

• autorot - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Oh i’ve been here the whole season. I only feel the need to comment when my B’s article is overcome by rabid habs fans foaming at the mouth about dives and bad calls. Almost as if they haven’t watched a habs game before

• budzo83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM

False sense of superiority + general hockey snobbery = good hockey talk.

Stay classy.

20. pastabelly - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:03 AM

So many whiners and excuse makers come out of the woodwork come playoff time on these boards.

As far as this series goes, you have to think the Bruins physical game wore down the Red Wings as the game progressed to the point of the lopsided overtime.

21. matt14gg - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:22 AM

If people are complaining about the officiating in this series they are about as clueless as it gets. Officiating is never perfect but it has had almost no effect on this series. Calls on both sides, missed calls on both sides and for the most part no gong shows, just good hard hockey. The refs have mostly just stayed out of the way, just as they should.

• ironyisadeadscene - Apr 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Agreed, the refs should swallow the whistles and let the teams battle it out (unless blatant). Quit whining about missing calls.

• dewzer - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM

There is no room for rational, neutral thinking on PHT sir.

22. montrealbbr - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I love how everyone says that Boston and Detroit “play the game the right way”. I watched this whole game last night because my team has already swept their series. All I saw was diving on both teams, Bruins hitting Zetterberg in the back, Detroit holding sticks and lots of hits after the whistles. These are two cheap teams that have to cheat to win games. Montreal is going to wipe the rink with whichver of these teams ends up going forward.

Oh and Boston fans I wouldnt feel too good about your team right now since they have blown leads like this before. I wouldnt be surprised to watch Rask implode and blow this series like he has multiple times in the past!

• pastabelly - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Montreal is the one team in the league that plays the game the wrong way. They are divers and cowards and those are two characteristics that hockey fans dislike the most.

• montrealbbr - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Take a look at your diving team before you bash Montreal. I saw your caveman captain diving last night and of course Smith took a big dive. You call Montreal cowards but look at the cowards last night that were hitting Zetterberg and targetting his back with crosschecks that never got called. Boston fans think they are better than everyone else but its a known fact that the Bruins are dirty and like to dive and draw penalties.

• matt14gg - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM

“montrealbbr” No

“pastabelly” Yes (tho I would say there are a couple other teams that play a gutless style, just not to the level of the soccer team in Montreal

23. joey4id - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I posted this under another article, and added it here as well because it’s in line with the comments above.

There is not one team sport (soccer, baseball, football, basketball) that have decent referees according to fans.

Many fans have accused teams of buying referees or some being biased for the home team because of their nationality. That’s all BS. Boston could have been called for a few penalties last night in the dying minutes of the the 3rd period. Chara punched a Detroit player (Franzen??) in back of the head, and Marchand slashed another. No penalties called. Letting the players decide the outcome of the game is a common theme. Professional refs in a high stakes game will put the whistle away to let the boys decide the outcome of the game unless they see a blatant infraction which clearly gives an advantage to the culprit’s team. Ex: if an offensive player in the offensive zone commits an infraction which leads to the d team turning over the puck, and that leads to a potential scoring opportunity than the ref will call it. The same play in the neutral zone may go unpunished.

If a trip happens 30 feet behind a play it’s highly likely that the refs will not blow the whistle especially if the game is in within reach of either team. Sometimes they’ll make calls they would have let go if not for the fact that the boys we’re getting carried away. As a ref you need to be able to assess what’s at stake, and the pulse of the players emotions before making a call. That’s the nature of the beast. If you call every infraction, then there would be very little 5 on 5.

• crusty14 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Joey, i don’t always agree with you, but this is an excellent post with regards to all the whiners regarding penalty calls.

Your right, Chara did give him a shot in the head, but Franzen was holding his stick, and not letting it go to prevent Chara from joining the rush. The refs could’ve called a holding penalty, but they didn’t. They could’ve called a roughing penalty, but they didn’t. It was behind the play, each player made an infraction, and the ref decided to let it go. No big deal!

If most of the posters inhere had it their way, and the refs called every infraction, each and every game would be played 3 on 3 with more players in the box than on the bench!
      once again, i applaud your reply

• joey4id - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Well! Thank you! I guess all it takes to get positive feedback is to be myself as opposed to my persona. Cheers! ;-)

24. 101starmymedic - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Rask is the only reason they won this game.

• shutton83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I wouldn’t say the only reason, Soderberg was fantastic tonight along with Smith and Krug. Rask was a big component and deserves a lot of credit but not at all the only reason.

25. pwshrugged - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Look, I’m a Wings fan here, but the Bruins have been the better team. You can’t really argue that. As close as this game was, the Bruins are finding a way. They look like the team of seasoned veterans who suffered some tough losses; we look like the younger, less experienced team. That’s not meant to be insulting, either; it just is what it is. Boston has that extra playoff gear up and down their roster that the Wings don’t.

Last night’s game was a beauty. Credit to the Wings for playing two great periods of hockey and hanging on as long as they did afterwards. But as the second period ended and the third started, you could just feel a gradual momentum build on Boston’s side. They never panicked; never gave up on their game; never looked resigned to defeat. They just kept coming on, knowing they had a young team on the other side that they could wear down. And they did.

The OT goal was fluky – that’s true – but let’s not fool ourselves. Outside of a couple breaks, Boston dominated the overtime. Not in an outright manner, but there was a calm sense of inevitability on their side. They dominated zone time in OT and the Wings had issues clearing the puck and getting quality shots on Rask. You could feel Rask getting in their heads – he simply wasn’t going to let anything else through.

I thought Gustavsson played very well in a surprise spot start for the Wings. Zetterberg looked pretty good for his first game back from a serious back injury. Bertuzzi clearly made a difference, too.

As for the Wings? Maybe they need the pressure of elimination, which loomed over them throughout the entire month of March and early April, to galvanize the kids. But they look outmatched right now. I said it before – all I wanted this year was for the streak to continue. We’ve found a group of young stars that will continue to improve and develop. Win or lose, this has been a positive season for the Red Wings.

Boston looks like a team on a mission. If they finish off the Wings on Saturday, I don’t see anyone stopping them (although Montreal should give them a good fight). If they go all the way, I’ll take solace in the fact that I’ve always thought Iginla deserved to hoist the Cup before his career ends.

• matt14gg - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Great stuff and as far as The Monster goes, I’ve always thought the best situation for a goalie is to be given a surprise start. It is all upside and very little downside. You’ve wasted no nervous energy in the days leading up to the game cuz you didn’t think you were even playing and you really have nothing to lose, but to go out an play loose and relaxed. He was excellent last night (granted he got a few lucky breaks, like Marchand being the victim of the mysterious “moving net”), but he absolutely gave the Wings a chance to win.

• pwshrugged - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I agree, that sometimes a surprise spot start can work in a goalie’s favor, but I always worry about the first… oh, about 8 minutes, when that’s the case. Some guys, especially guys who are already kind of jumpy by nature (like The Monster) can be really jittery. And sure enough, he definitely was early last night – but he didn’t let anything through, and he played a good game the rest of the way.

I don’t think you can really fault him on any of the goals – the first one was just a crazy deflected point shot; the second was an absolutely beautiful play; and the third was just an unfortunate bounce.

Also, I lol’ed for real at your “mysterious moving net” comment, haha. Yeah, I don’t know what was in Marchand’s head last night. I’m sure he’s glad he can laugh those off today, rather than be haunted by them.

• crusty14 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM

its nice to hear from an obviously realistic fan. Im a bruins fan, but i agree the wings have played well, but, in the end the bruins eventually will wear them down. Its tough to play with inexperienced youngsters and banged up veterans, but they are doing a pretty good job. This experience Im sure will help them in the future. Im not going to say the series is over because the 4th one is always the hardest, but congrats to a hard working wings team

• budzo83 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Great post.

Like others have said, Boston’s history of not putting teams away should still provide a shred of hope to the Wings faithful. From the beginning I’ve said that the longer Detroit stays in the series, the more this can swing in their favor. If they can go back into the Garden and steal one, all bets are off.

With that said, you summed it up perfectly with the “extra gear” analogy. More often than not over the last few seasons, Boston has found that extra gear and found a way win, sometimes in spite of themselves. I believe Detroit is on fumes right now because they’ve been running in that “extra gear” for well over a month now, picking up valuable points, sometimes in spite of themselves.

Even though some of the Wings’ younger players were around last year for the playoff run, I think we can all agree most are still a bit green. One of my favorite sports radio drops is of Ken Holland saying “This is a man’s game” and I think they’re definitely finding that out against arguably the most physically imposing team the league (just ask Brendan Smith). If Boston does end up finishing them off, it would suit them well to use it as a “learn how to lose to learn how to win” moments. Losing sucks, but when you lose to Chicago one year and Boston the next, at least you know where the bar is set.

• pwshrugged - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM

It’s funny, because when the Wings slumped a bit towards the end of March, I looked at my wife (also an avid fan), and said “We need the other lines to score, or we’re done.” At the time, the Kid Line was doing all the scoring. It was a great story, but in the end, you want a balanced attack.

In the playoffs, now, the reverse. I looked at the wife during Game 3 and said “We won’t win this series if the Kid Line doesn’t produce.” They’re our X-factor in this series, and Boston has completely shut them down, which I believe has a lot to do with them being young men, relatively new to the league, and having not yet discovered that “extra” playoff gear. Boston has all 4 lines playing solid hockey; meanwhile, the line that carried us to the playoffs has been rendered largely ineffective.

I’ve actually been very impressed with Brendan Smith this series. He’s been physical, he’s getting much better about when to pinch/when not to pinch, and he’s obviously not scared of anyone. But yes, this could very well be a “learn how to lose to learn how to win” series for the young core-to-be of the Wings. This is really the first year they’re all definite NHLers going forward, so I think it’ll be more of a learning experience than last year.

If nothing else, we should have a nice rivalry with Boston going forward. :)

26. isphet71 - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Lifelong Wings fan here (Got into in in the 80s when they played the Oilers in the playoffs. I was in the 4th grade.)

The series is about what you would expect from a 1-8 matchup. The Wings just can’t compete with Bostons’ best effort. The Bruins have to play not their best, while the Wings would have to play their best to to take advantage of the Bruins’ play and win games.

Boston hasn’t played their best, but honestly I don’t recall seeing the Wings play any sloppier/worse all year than they did in games 2 and 3. I was doing something important and missed game 4 completely, so can’t say what they looked like last night. I caught the overtime period and they looked terrible in that.

I’m a little disappointed that the Wings haven’t been able to compete very much in this series, but I can’t say I didn’t expect this. They have lots of good excuses for not being as good as the Bruins this year – age, injuries, new division, etc.

I guess I was just hoping that they would somehow find a way to rise above all those excuses and win anyway. It’s not looking like it’s going to happen, unless Boston plays poorly the last 3 games and the Red Wings play their best hockey of the season. I’m not saying it’s over, but it’s not looking good for the Wings.

Hey, it’s not like the Wings are the 1 seed and losing to the 8 seed. San Jose *cough*. Edmonton *cough.* We have nothing to be ashamed of as Wings fans. Our days on top will come again in a few years; we just have to let these kids grow up a bit more and reach their primes. This has been our “rebuilding phase” and I think we will be better the next few years (next year might be one more tough one.)

So grats Boston fans, you have a real nice team going there. We’ll hopefully put up more of a fight the next few years if we can keep Datsyuk and Z healthy and as the kids like Nyquist, Dekeyser, Tatar, Jurco, etc. mature. At least do us all a favor and beat those clowns from Montreal.

• matt14gg - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM

One thing the Bruins have had a little trouble with over the past few years is putting teams away. I wouldn’t pack it in just yet, because the Bruins NEVER make things easy. That and the fact that the Wings are a classy team with a lot of pride and experience. They will not go quietly, but I do agree that the Bruins are the better team.

• pwshrugged - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Boston all the way if we lose. I have no shame cheering for a team that beats us if they do so through superior effort and skill. That said, Iginla is a class act, and I’ve been a fan of his for more than a decade… he’s a great player, I want to see his name etched into the Cup, and this year seems like this best shot.

If we’d won last night, I’d be hopeful, if only because you wonder how much it gets into a team’s head when you lose a game where one guy misses a wide-open net twice, heh. Little stuff like that adds up and can get into a team’s head (see: Pittsburgh).

Good perspective, though, sir. I think it’s good to recognize that when our “rebuilding” phase includes playoff berths, it’s hard to complain. Although, to be fair, I thought the boos from the crowd at the Joe in Game 3 were well-deserved – that was one of the saddest efforts I’ve seen from the Wings in a long time, and the home crowd deserves better than that. But otherwise… it’s hard to be disappointed as a Wings fan. This was an injury-riddled rebuilding year, and we made the playoffs, including some good playoff games.

There’s a bright future ahead.

Plus, you gotta feel like it’s Boston’s time – after last year’s loss to Chicago, you can see that they’ve developed a strong sense of resolve, and they addressed their lineup weaknesses. Boston just looks like and plays like a team that won’t be beat. But it’s much more enjoyable to watch them play when they’re being a fundamentally sound, mistake-free team (as per Games 1, 4), rather than a bunch of bullies (like in Game 2).

Top 10 NHL Player Searches