Apr 24, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins fought back from a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2 in OT in Game 4 on Thursday, pushing the Detroit Red Wings to the brink of elimination with a 3-1 series score.
Niklas Kronwall and Pavel Datsyuk combined for one-goal, one-assist nights to give the Red Wings a lead that Boston was able to scrape away. Torey Krug‘s power-play goal in the middle frame helped the Bruins enter the third period down a manageable 2-1. Carl Soderberg‘s nice play set up a Milan Lucic tying goal that sent the game into overtime.
The Bruins pressed the Red Wings repeatedly in the overtime period, generating a 12-3 shot advantage in that time. It was a weird one that beat Jonas Gustavsson in a surprise start, as a Dougie Hamilton shot took a weird bounce and the goal was credited to Jarome Iginla (his first goal of the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs).
For those who don’t appreciate the pesky style of Brad Marchand, he had some tough luck on Thursday. At least one of the shots probably missed the net because of Jimmy Howard/bounces off of other players’ sticks, yet this montage will still be pretty sweet for Marchand haters:
The Bruins can probably laugh that off thanks to their eventual win, though.
Boston is now looking like a serious force in winning three straight games, including both contests at Joe Louis Arena. They have some serious incentive to finish this series off in Boston in Game 5, as the Montreal Canadiens are already awaiting their second-round opponent after sweeping the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Meanwhile, the Red Wings find themselves one game away from another first-round exit despite showing some fight on Thursday night. The bad news (they’ve been surprisingly mortal in “Hockeytown”) is softened a bit by the good: they’ve been formidable on the road this season. They took Game 1 in Boston and went 21-15-5 in away games during the regular season.
It won’t be easy, but the Red Wings have been doing things the hard way this season.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)