Apr 24, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
If Bruce Boudreau already knows who he’ll choose to start in net for the Anaheim Ducks in Game 5 against the Dallas Stars, he isn’t sharing his answer just yet.
It’s reasonable to ask, though. After winning the series’ first two games following some debate regarding who should get the nod, Frederik Andersen dropped the next two games and was even pulled for Jonas Hiller late in Game 4.
While that opens the door for speculation, Boudreau and Hiller were both pleased that he at least got some postseason reps in, even though the Swiss-born goalie only faced one shot during the physical closing span of Game 4.
“It was important he played,” Boudreau said. “Whether he’s going to start tomorrow, it was important that he’s already seen playoff ice, and not coming in blind.”
Especially since Boudreau noted that Hiller, 32, was “lacking confidence” coming into the playoffs.
There’s a reasonable argument for turning to either goalie – not to mention promising young netminder John Gibson – but ultimately it’s Boudreau’s call. Not that people won’t question him if Game 5 goes poorly …
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)