Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks forward Bryan Bickell started a four-year, $12 million contract this season. The hope was that the 28-year-old would elevate his game after a solid 2013 campaign and a great performance in the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup-winning run.
Instead, Bickell recorded just 15 points in 59 games in 2013-14, averaged 11:21 minutes per contest, and was listed as a healthy scratch more than once.
“We need more,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said of Bickell back in January.
They’ve gotten more out of him since the playoffs started. He’s been logging 16:14 minutes per game and scored the game-tying goal in Chicago’s 4-3 overtime win last night.
“He … was gunning for the playoffs. He was picking up his game. I think he likes the big stage,” Quenneville speculated, per the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Potash.
Bickell is one of the Blackhawks’ key complimentary players, which is why they were willing to risk overpaying him rather than let him walk as an unrestricted free agent. The Blackhawks need all the help they can get in their tight series against the Blues, so naturally it’s important to them for Bickell to continue to show that he has put his rough regular season in the rear view mirror.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 8
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 38
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)