Apr 24, 2014, 10:36 PM EST
With the Tampa Bay Lightning’s season now over, the discussion about the club’s future and that of its players will pick up.
Head coach Jon Cooper, who became a likeable character during the Lightning’s brief playoff experience, spoke highly of forward Ryan Callahan, who was acquired in the blockbuster deal for Martin St. Louis at the NHL trade deadline in early March and an unrestricted free agent this summer. His current three-year deal worth $12.825 million is set to expire.
To put it simply: Cooper would love to get Callahan re-signed. Just one problem, and that is it’s a decision that’s not in his control.
That said, the 29-year-old Callahan made quite the impression with the rookie NHL bench boss, scoring six goals and 11 points in 20 regular season games, but going without a point in four playoff games.
“I really, really hope Ryan considers us as a place he wants to spend the rest of his career,” said Cooper, “because as long as I’m coaching this team, I want Ryan Callahan on the bench. I don’t know how much stronger I can be about that.”
Also, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said prior to the beginning of the playoffs that he would “love” to re-sign Callahan. So stay tuned.
You can see the entire media scrum, which lasted more than 16 minutes, below.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)