Apr 24, 2014, 10:36 PM EST
With the Tampa Bay Lightning’s season now over, the discussion about the club’s future and that of its players will pick up.
Head coach Jon Cooper, who became a likeable character during the Lightning’s brief playoff experience, spoke highly of forward Ryan Callahan, who was acquired in the blockbuster deal for Martin St. Louis at the NHL trade deadline in early March and an unrestricted free agent this summer. His current three-year deal worth $12.825 million is set to expire.
To put it simply: Cooper would love to get Callahan re-signed. Just one problem, and that is it’s a decision that’s not in his control.
That said, the 29-year-old Callahan made quite the impression with the rookie NHL bench boss, scoring six goals and 11 points in 20 regular season games, but going without a point in four playoff games.
“I really, really hope Ryan considers us as a place he wants to spend the rest of his career,” said Cooper, “because as long as I’m coaching this team, I want Ryan Callahan on the bench. I don’t know how much stronger I can be about that.”
Also, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said prior to the beginning of the playoffs that he would “love” to re-sign Callahan. So stay tuned.
You can see the entire media scrum, which lasted more than 16 minutes, below.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 10
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 8
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)