Apr 24, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
With the Tampa Bay Lightning’s season now over, the discussion about the club’s future and that of its players will pick up.
Head coach Jon Cooper, who became a likeable character during the Lightning’s brief playoff experience, spoke highly of forward Ryan Callahan, who was acquired in the blockbuster deal for Martin St. Louis at the NHL trade deadline in early March and an unrestricted free agent this summer. His current three-year deal worth $12.825 million is set to expire.
To put it simply: Cooper would love to get Callahan re-signed. Just one problem, and that is it’s a decision that’s not in his control.
That said, the 29-year-old Callahan made quite the impression with the rookie NHL bench boss, scoring six goals and 11 points in 20 regular season games, but going without a point in four playoff games.
“I really, really hope Ryan considers us as a place he wants to spend the rest of his career,” said Cooper, “because as long as I’m coaching this team, I want Ryan Callahan on the bench. I don’t know how much stronger I can be about that.”
Also, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said prior to the beginning of the playoffs that he would “love” to re-sign Callahan. So stay tuned.
You can see the entire media scrum, which lasted more than 16 minutes, below.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)