Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Pegnuins entered the first round as the clear favorites against the Columbus Blue Jackets, but this series has arguably had more twists and turns than any of the other 2014 playoff matchups.
Both teams have won on the road and have overcome 2-goal deficits. While the Penguins hold a 2-1 series edge and can put the Blue Jackets against the ropes with a win tonight, it’s fair to say that neither squad should feel comfortable with the lead until the game is over.
The contest will start at 7:00 p.m. and air on NBCSN. You can also stream the game via the link below:
A homerun for the Penguins tonight would be a shutout. Since they won the Stanley Cup in 2009, the Penguins have allowed more than three goals per contest in the playoffs. They might be able to get away with that against Columbus, but it’s unlikely that they will get far in the postseason unless they can play a sounder defensive game.
For Columbus, a win would be huge in and of itself. It would be the franchise’s first playoff victory at home and keep the pressure on the Penguins.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)