Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars found themselves down 2-0 in Game 4, but much like in this first-round series itself, they resolved to get back into it. They did more than that on Wednesday, in fact, storming back against the Anaheim Ducks to win 4-2 and tie the series 2-2.
This comeback win also prompted Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau to yank Frederik Andersen in the third period, likely inspiring some to wonder if there’s uncertainty regarding who’s the go-to guy in net. Then again, that might not really be that good of a thing for Dallas, as Jonas Hiller carried the ball for much of this season and has a lot on the line if he’s given a chance to start.
Goaltending isn’t the only area of concern for the Ducks. Even with Ryan Getzlaf mysteriously out of action for Game 4, beloved veteran Teemu Selanne was a healthy scratch, prompting plenty of late criticism:
Of course, the Devil’s Advocate argument would point to “The Finnish Flash” only have one assist in the three games he appeared in during the playoffs, but the bottom line is that a lot of people are doing some second-guessing right now.
Stars blog Defending Big D noted that Boudreau and the Ducks were already losing their cool regarding some of the Stars’ pesty players after Game 3. That testiness is probably boiling over to full-blown hatred by now (although, to be honest, it’s possible that disdain was already deep from their days as Pacific Division opponents).
On paper, the Stars seemed like they might be a sneaky-tough out for the Anaheim Ducks despite being the bottom-ranked West team in the playoffs (much like the Detroit Red Wings seemed like they might be a challenge for the Boston Bruins). They’ve fit that bill so far, sending this series back to Anaheim tied 2-2 … essentially “holding serve.”
For the Ducks, it’s gut-check time, as they face the uncomfortable possibility of following two excellent regular seasons with two first-round series struggles.
May 23, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
But will it last?
May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
The third ‘tender taken at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft had a rough first pro season in North America.
May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Finnish forward joined the organization last year after solid production in the SM-liiga.
May 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
That’s him, with Vladimir Putin.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)