Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars found themselves down 2-0 in Game 4, but much like in this first-round series itself, they resolved to get back into it. They did more than that on Wednesday, in fact, storming back against the Anaheim Ducks to win 4-2 and tie the series 2-2.
This comeback win also prompted Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau to yank Frederik Andersen in the third period, likely inspiring some to wonder if there’s uncertainty regarding who’s the go-to guy in net. Then again, that might not really be that good of a thing for Dallas, as Jonas Hiller carried the ball for much of this season and has a lot on the line if he’s given a chance to start.
Goaltending isn’t the only area of concern for the Ducks. Even with Ryan Getzlaf mysteriously out of action for Game 4, beloved veteran Teemu Selanne was a healthy scratch, prompting plenty of late criticism:
Of course, the Devil’s Advocate argument would point to “The Finnish Flash” only have one assist in the three games he appeared in during the playoffs, but the bottom line is that a lot of people are doing some second-guessing right now.
Stars blog Defending Big D noted that Boudreau and the Ducks were already losing their cool regarding some of the Stars’ pesty players after Game 3. That testiness is probably boiling over to full-blown hatred by now (although, to be honest, it’s possible that disdain was already deep from their days as Pacific Division opponents).
On paper, the Stars seemed like they might be a sneaky-tough out for the Anaheim Ducks despite being the bottom-ranked West team in the playoffs (much like the Detroit Red Wings seemed like they might be a challenge for the Boston Bruins). They’ve fit that bill so far, sending this series back to Anaheim tied 2-2 … essentially “holding serve.”
For the Ducks, it’s gut-check time, as they face the uncomfortable possibility of following two excellent regular seasons with two first-round series struggles.
Apr 28, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
Stopped 18 of 21 shots in an emergency start for the ailing Braden Holtby.
Apr 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Veteran Finn is a UFA on July 1.
Apr 28, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
“I don’t want to tear it apart, but I’m not afraid to make changes if I think it’ll help the team.”
Apr 28, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Nothing like a little competition to get things done.
Apr 28, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Isles defenseman missed the entire opening-round series loss to Washington.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Kicks off on Thursday with the Rangers taking on the Caps, and the Flames facing the Ducks.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Jamie Benn’s having two of ’em!
Apr 28, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
“I feel like I’ve let people down.”
Apr 28, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
Was dismissed by the Flyers 11 days ago.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“It wasn’t a perfect fit, to be honest.”
Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
Should be an interesting offseason in Pittsburgh.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Though the former will be on the limp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 8
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)