Apr 23, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
A weird goal started it, and a weird goal ended it as well.
The San Jose Sharks stunned the Kings 4-3 in OT on Tuesday night, winning on the strength of a deflected Patrick Marleau backhander. With the victory, San Jose took a commanding 3-0 series lead over L.A.
Getting there wasn’t easy, however.
The Sharks were out-shot 5-1 in the extra frame and barely looked to be holding on before Marleau flipped the puck towards L.A.’s goal; Kings defenseman Slava Voynov proceeded to tip it past a stunned Jonathan Quick, who made a series of huge saves in the third period to get the game to OT and finished with 36 saves on 40 shots.
Voynov was distraught in the locker room. Wouldn’t / couldn’t even talk.
— The Mayor John Hoven (@mayorNHL) April 23, 2014
The finish was a gut-punch for the Kings, who rebounded from two sub-par efforts in San Jose to play their best game of the series at Staples. That’s not to say San Jose was dominated, however — Game 3 was by far the most competitive game of the series and easily the most exciting. Two two teams traded scoring chances, put 71 total shots on goal and continued to pound away at each other, combining for a staggering 98 hits.
As mentioned, the game was bookended by a pair of odd goals. Brent Burns opened the scoring on a weird one, lobbing home a fluttering puck past Quick to give San Jose a 1-0 lead, one the Sharks would hold until 4:48 into the second when Jarret Stoll scored his first of the series on the power play.
Three minutes after Stoll’s tally, Marian Gaborik scored a highlight-reel marker to give the Kings a 2-1 advantage, but the Sharks quickly fought back and tied it up less than three minutes later when rookie Matt Nieto scored his first-ever playoff goal.
With the win, San Jose is now one step closer to exacting a measure of revenge on the Kings, who ousted the Sharks in seven games in last year’s playoffs. It also marked the first time the Sharks won at Staples in over two years.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Buffalo holds him out from the rest of the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
He’s straightforward about it, at least.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Incident occurred during last night’s win over the Rangers.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Lightning rookie will miss at least the first few games of the regular season.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s establishing what he expects early.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)