Recchi on the Canucks: ‘When you lose that swagger, it’s tough’

Apr 23, 2014, 12:45 PM EST

Washington Capitals v Boston Bruins Getty Images

Back in 2011, while reflecting on his Stanley Cup victory with the Boston Bruins, retired forward Mark Recchi called the Vancouver Canucks “the most arrogant team I played against and the most hated team I’ve ever played against.”

These days, the British Columbia native is actually sad to see how far the once cocky, now clearly insecure, Canucks have fallen.

“Obviously, that (2011) was a big series, but I’m still a Canucks fan and grew up one and you still want them to do well,” Recchi told The Province newspaper. “It’s tough to watch that. And when you lose that swagger, it’s tough. That’s what made them successful because they believed in what they were doing.”

Recchi also thinks Bruins assistant general manager Jim Benning, considered a leading candidate to replace the fired Mike Gillis, would be a great fit in Vancouver.

“He can build around the Canucks’ core players and get pieces in there,” he said. “They’re going to have to draft really well from now on and they’re going to have to make great trades. I’d love to see him back in Canada because that (Vancouver) is a wonderful hockey market.”

Related: Recchi the latest to express regret over ripping the Canucks

1. ibieiniid - Apr 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM

“Swagger.” Now officially a term for old guys.

• 7mantel - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Old age happens fast ,AND IT’S COMING FOR YOU ! LOL

• ibieiniid - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM

lol sorry again about the crack yesterday mantel. I got no beefs with people that are older than me (lol never thought i’d have to type that), nor am I trying to dis’ them. words are just one of the only objects that gets passed up instead of passed down and I’d probably laugh audibly if I heard an old guy say ‘swagger.’

• ibieiniid - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM

(I use “laugh audibly” because old people have taken over “lol”)

• ibieiniid - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM

…except that I used “lol” in there too. fail.

• 7mantel - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Hey no problem , Whippersnapper ! Even I had a hard time typing that !

• ibieiniid - Apr 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM

turns out Recchi’s only got me by 20 years anyway. alright, alright, I rescind.

• kaptaanamerica - Apr 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM

F Recchi that pos. He’s only saying that to suck up to people in B.C. cuz he has business interests in kamloops and has to be there every so often.Don’t know if he lives there at all now though.

• 7mantel - Apr 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM

have no idea what your talking about !

2. rdk - Apr 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM

It’s nice to see Dr. Ricci enjoying a successful post-NHL career pumping his former AGM’s tires.

• pepper2011 - Apr 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Mike Ricci had a good NHL career. Mark Recchi is a HOF’er.

A for effort though.

• matt14gg - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM

“Recchi” I assume you mean…unless you’re talking about former NHLer Mike Ricci, which would make no sense.

As for the comment, you didn’t need to be a doctor to know the Canadiens trumped up the whole Chara/Pacioretty situation because they wanted to get Chara suspended/sent to prison for a two minute penalty. Even Pacioretty later said he said and did things regarding the Chara situation he now regrets. I’m guessing he’s talking about the fact that the Canadiens tried to lead the world to believe that Patch was on his death bed, which was completely untrue.

• hockey412 - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I think what Pacioretty said was that he thinks Chara regretted his action. How exactly is this even pertinent? It was definitely a foul, dirty play. No defending it – even the Boston press didn’t defend it (and they’ll defend just about anything the Bruins do).

• matt14gg - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM

“hockey412″ – This is Pacioretty’s exact quote:

“I definitely wish I could take some things back … some things how I handled it,.”

It’s pertinent to the person who invoked “Dr. Recchi” which is a direct reference to the despicable nature with which the Montreal Canadiens, their fans and the Montreal media (also Habs “fans”) handled that situation. It is generally regarded as one of the most embarrassing displays by an entire city ever in reaction to an unfortunate play in a HOCKEY GAME.

• pepper2011 - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

The best part about the whole thing is that Habs fans don’t get why Recchi said what he said.

Guess what?

people STILL talk about Dr. Recchi. Took a LOT of heat of Chara – put a decent amount of the hate and pressure on a guy who’d been in the league for 20 years.

Brilliant.

Every time I see “Dr. Recchi” – I smile because he knew exactly what he was doing. Recchi standing up and taking the bullet was brilliant and the comradery propelled them to Cup and taught a valuable lesson to the young guys; which is why they have been powerhouse ever since.

• hockey412 - Apr 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Ah, gotcha…eh, Recchi’s comments may have been in poor taste, may have been just the plain old truth. I don’t think Max had anything to be apologetic about…Chara sure wasn’t apologetic. But I think a lot of angst comes from the general apathy of Bruins fans to the ‘unfortunate play’. What I mean is, the play itself was embarassing. You’ve called it a 2 minute penalty, and an unfortunate play…what it was was a 5 minute major and a game misconduct, and a grossly dirty play by someone that can be dangerously borderline when he’s frustrated. His injury may have been exagerated, as much as a concussion and a broken neck can be exagerated (and that is what it was, let’s not debate that you are arguing that a broken neck is no biggie), but it can’t be exagerated enough that the hit should never have happened.

3. bigtganks - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Seriously are we still talking about this? Let it go people…

Torts needs to tell them it’s not 2011 anymore as well.

4. nobandwagoners - Apr 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I think what Recchi said has some truth to it.

It’s interesting that Boston – although with some changed pieces – still has the “swagger” (confidence or whatever) from 2011 whereas the Canucks definitely don’t and, IMO, deservedly don’t after this season and perhaps two seasons or post-seasons (chicken and the egg?).

Best for the Canucks to put 2011 firmly in the rear view mirror like Torts said (and, while they’re at it, let’s add the 1994 playoff run to it – I’m so tired of that being dredged up to prop up spirits).

5. joey4id - Apr 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM

It sounds like Recchi is mending a bridge with the Canucks. Is he looking for a job? Hmmm! Why is this coming out now?

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Because someone asked him about it.

• joey4id - Apr 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Too easy Why now?

• ibieiniid - Apr 23, 2014 at 4:14 PM

c’mon joey. you wouldn’t have these questions if you had read the article associated with this post.

6. Wineshard - Apr 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Why was asked now or why did he answer now? Former due to lack of Canucks playoffs involvement? Latter because he is a nice guy?

• taytay099 - Apr 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Because it makes for an interesting article. He’s a guy that grew up a Canucks fan who is known for ripping them apart after the 2011 Cup run and he also happens to be very familiar with Jim Benning.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches