Apr 23, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Pekka Rinne missed 51 games this year due to complications from hip surgery, but that won’t keep him from representing Finland at the 2014 World Hockey Championships.
What’s more, his GM in Nashville is encouraging the move.
“It’s a great sign that he’ll be getting more game action,” David Poile told The Tennessean. “Because of the time he missed, he didn’t get to play enough hockey this season, so he’s still eager to play.
As mentioned above, this year — the second of Rinne’s seven-year, $49 million contract — was essentially ruined by the hip issue. He underwent surgery in May, returned to start the regular season, played a handful of games, but was then sidelined for nearly six months after an infection required a second surgical procedure.
All told, Rinne only appeared in 24 games this season and posted fairly pedestrian numbers: .902 save percentage, 2.77 GAA, 10-10-3 record. For a guy named a Vezina finalist in 2010 and ’11, those stats certainly weren’t up to his standards and, in terms of health and recovery, it’s worth noting that Rinne turns 32 in November.
Despite this, Nashville remains supportive in Rinne’s decision to play for Finland internationally for the first time in four years.
“His health is good,” Poile said. “Playing in the tournament bodes well for the future.”
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)