Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
If there was a subtitle for the Pittsburgh Penguins and Columbus Blue Jackets series, it would be: No lead is safe.
After a 3-1 lead was blown in each of the first three games, the Blue Jackets rallied back from an early 3-0 deficit in Game 4 to earn a 4-3 victory in overtime.
This was a mixed game for Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury. He stopped 42 shots and it’s hard to criticize a netminder too harshly when he sees that much work. At the same time, Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky‘s goal with under 30 seconds remaining in regulation time to tie the game is one he should have had.
A similar case could be made for Nick Foligno‘s game-winning goal.
Fleury has now allowed at least three goals in each of his last eight playoff games and the Penguins have surrendered over three goals per game in the postseason since they won the Stanley Cup in 2009. Whether you want to blame their goaltending or defense more for their shortcomings, the fact remains that the Penguins have not been playing like a team destined for great things.
Making this loss all the more deflating for Pittsburgh is the fact that it started with such promise. Craig Adams scored a shorthanded goal just 6:09 minutes into the first period. Chris Kunitz and James Neal followed it up with goals just 33 seconds apart to put the Penguins up 3-0.
Pittsburgh then got into penalty trouble, which contributed to the Blue Jackets getting back into the game. Boone Jenner scored with the man advantage and Ryan Johansen found the back of the net during a 5-on-3 opportunity.
The series is now even at two wins each with Game 5 scheduled for Saturday.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 3
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)