Apr 23, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
After going pointless in back-to-back games and receiving his lowest ice time of the series on Monday, Anaheim forward Teemu Selanne will be parked as a healthy scratch for tonight’s Game 4 in Dallas.
Selanne confirmed the news Wednesday morning and, according to the O.C. Register, recently recalled speedster Emerson Etem will draw into the lineup in Selanne’s place.
“I’m disappointed,” Selanne said, per the Calgary Sun. “I want to play, but I can’t really control it right now.”
Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau hinted after Game 3 — a 3-0 loss in which the Ducks failed to beat Kari Lehtonen on 37 shots — that he was considering a lineup change and, based on history and numbers, it’s not totally surprising that Selanne’s the guy. Anaheim has rested the 43-year-old on a number of occasions this year and his ice time was almost non-existent in the third period on Monday, as he received just two shifts.
Selanne also hasn’t registered a point since assisting on Matt Beleskey‘s game-winning tally in Game 1. Per the Register, tonight will mark the first time the Finnish Flash has sat as a postseason healthy scratch since it happened with Colorado in 2004.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)