Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have a 3-0 series lead over the Los Angeles Kings after winning in overtime last night, but they still see Game 4 as an important contest. Even if they will get four chances to finish off Los Angeles, they don’t want to allow the 2012 Stanley Cup champions to gain any momentum.
“We’re going to do what we can to win, finish them in four,” said Sharks forward Logan Couture, per CSN Bay Area. “You can’t give a good team like the L.A. Kings life. We’re going to do whatever we can. We know they’re going to be desperate. We have to match their desperation and play our best game this series to beat them.”
It’s not just the fear of the Kings pulling off an unlikely comeback that’s motivating San Jose. The Sharks remember what happened in 2011 when they took a 3-0 series lead against Detroit in the second round only for the Red Wings to force a Game 7. San Jose won that series, but the Vancouver Canucks ousted them in five contests in the Western Conference Final.
Sharks coach Todd McLellan speculated that allowing the Red Wings to get back into that series hurt the Sharks even if they still came out on top.
San Jose is hoping that this is the year the team wins the Stanley Cup after making the playoffs in each of the last nine campaigns and coming up short. The Sharks are off to a great start, but they still have a ton of work ahead of them.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)