Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
In one of the cooler stories to come from the opening playoff round, Colorado will give ’10 first-rounder Joey Hishon his NHL debut on Thursday in Game 4 of its series against the Wild.
Avs head coach Patrick Roy confirmed the move on Thursday, explaining that Hishon will play on the fourth line but will also see time on one of the club’s power-play units. Colorado is just 1-for-11 with the man advantage in the series and could use Hishon’s offensive abilities; the former OHL scoring sensation, drafted 17th overall in 2010, racked up 255 points in 214 games for Owen Sound during a decorated junior career.
“Joey’s dream is to play in the NHL one day,” Roy said, per the Denver Post. “Here it is, and with our situation, why not?”
Hishon, 22, likely would’ve debuted earlier for the Avs, but had his career derailed during the 2011 Memorial Cup after suffering a severe concussion. He missed the entire 2011-12 season with post-concussion syndrome and took a long time getting back onto the ice, making his return with Lake Erie in March of 2013.
A second concussion suffered a month later threw a scare into both Hishon and the Avs organization, but he recovered in time to play 50 games for the Monsters this year, scoring 10 goals and 24 points.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)