Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
In one of the cooler stories to come from the opening playoff round, Colorado will give ’10 first-rounder Joey Hishon his NHL debut on Thursday in Game 4 of its series against the Wild.
Avs head coach Patrick Roy confirmed the move on Thursday, explaining that Hishon will play on the fourth line but will also see time on one of the club’s power-play units. Colorado is just 1-for-11 with the man advantage in the series and could use Hishon’s offensive abilities; the former OHL scoring sensation, drafted 17th overall in 2010, racked up 255 points in 214 games for Owen Sound during a decorated junior career.
“Joey’s dream is to play in the NHL one day,” Roy said, per the Denver Post. “Here it is, and with our situation, why not?”
Hishon, 22, likely would’ve debuted earlier for the Avs, but had his career derailed during the 2011 Memorial Cup after suffering a severe concussion. He missed the entire 2011-12 season with post-concussion syndrome and took a long time getting back onto the ice, making his return with Lake Erie in March of 2013.
A second concussion suffered a month later threw a scare into both Hishon and the Avs organization, but he recovered in time to play 50 games for the Monsters this year, scoring 10 goals and 24 points.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)