Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
In one of the cooler stories to come from the opening playoff round, Colorado will give ’10 first-rounder Joey Hishon his NHL debut on Thursday in Game 4 of its series against the Wild.
Avs head coach Patrick Roy confirmed the move on Thursday, explaining that Hishon will play on the fourth line but will also see time on one of the club’s power-play units. Colorado is just 1-for-11 with the man advantage in the series and could use Hishon’s offensive abilities; the former OHL scoring sensation, drafted 17th overall in 2010, racked up 255 points in 214 games for Owen Sound during a decorated junior career.
“Joey’s dream is to play in the NHL one day,” Roy said, per the Denver Post. “Here it is, and with our situation, why not?”
Hishon, 22, likely would’ve debuted earlier for the Avs, but had his career derailed during the 2011 Memorial Cup after suffering a severe concussion. He missed the entire 2011-12 season with post-concussion syndrome and took a long time getting back onto the ice, making his return with Lake Erie in March of 2013.
A second concussion suffered a month later threw a scare into both Hishon and the Avs organization, but he recovered in time to play 50 games for the Monsters this year, scoring 10 goals and 24 points.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 4
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 32
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 21
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)