Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
In one of the cooler stories to come from the opening playoff round, Colorado will give ’10 first-rounder Joey Hishon his NHL debut on Thursday in Game 4 of its series against the Wild.
Avs head coach Patrick Roy confirmed the move on Thursday, explaining that Hishon will play on the fourth line but will also see time on one of the club’s power-play units. Colorado is just 1-for-11 with the man advantage in the series and could use Hishon’s offensive abilities; the former OHL scoring sensation, drafted 17th overall in 2010, racked up 255 points in 214 games for Owen Sound during a decorated junior career.
“Joey’s dream is to play in the NHL one day,” Roy said, per the Denver Post. “Here it is, and with our situation, why not?”
Hishon, 22, likely would’ve debuted earlier for the Avs, but had his career derailed during the 2011 Memorial Cup after suffering a severe concussion. He missed the entire 2011-12 season with post-concussion syndrome and took a long time getting back onto the ice, making his return with Lake Erie in March of 2013.
A second concussion suffered a month later threw a scare into both Hishon and the Avs organization, but he recovered in time to play 50 games for the Monsters this year, scoring 10 goals and 24 points.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 1
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)