Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
In one of the cooler stories to come from the opening playoff round, Colorado will give ’10 first-rounder Joey Hishon his NHL debut on Thursday in Game 4 of its series against the Wild.
Avs head coach Patrick Roy confirmed the move on Thursday, explaining that Hishon will play on the fourth line but will also see time on one of the club’s power-play units. Colorado is just 1-for-11 with the man advantage in the series and could use Hishon’s offensive abilities; the former OHL scoring sensation, drafted 17th overall in 2010, racked up 255 points in 214 games for Owen Sound during a decorated junior career.
“Joey’s dream is to play in the NHL one day,” Roy said, per the Denver Post. “Here it is, and with our situation, why not?”
Hishon, 22, likely would’ve debuted earlier for the Avs, but had his career derailed during the 2011 Memorial Cup after suffering a severe concussion. He missed the entire 2011-12 season with post-concussion syndrome and took a long time getting back onto the ice, making his return with Lake Erie in March of 2013.
A second concussion suffered a month later threw a scare into both Hishon and the Avs organization, but he recovered in time to play 50 games for the Monsters this year, scoring 10 goals and 24 points.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)