Apr 22, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
One thing to watch for in tonight’s Flyers-Rangers game? If the Blueshirts continue to get dinged for embellishment after being whistled for a pair of diving penalties in Sunday’s 4-2 loss at MSG.
“I didn’t agree with that call, but at the same time, it’s fast hockey out there and refs makes mistakes, like we do,” Zuccarello said, per ESPN New York. “There’s nothing to think about right now.
“I think everybody who watches me play knows I’m not a diver.”
Here’s the play:
That embellishment call was the first of two against the Rangers in the period. Less than three minutes after Zuccarello was penalized, Derek Dorsett was called for diving after getting cross-checked by Wayne Simmonds. According to the New York Times, it was just the second time since the NHL started calling diving penalties in 1992-93 that one team got whistled at least twice in the same game — the other occurred in Montreal’s opening-round series with Washington 2010, when Maxim Lapierre and Brian Gionta combined to get whistled for three diving penalties in Game 6.
Needless to say, the Rangers aren’t happy with how things transpired on Sunday, but head coach Alain Vigneault wasn’t biting when asked what he thought of the calls.
“Did you see the replays?” Vigneault asked. “So, I’ll let you make the judgment on if Zuccarello’s was an embellishment. It doesn’t matter what I think.
“I’ll let you make the judgment and make the call on that.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)