Apr 22, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
If you planned to put together a list of the NHL’s most controversial active hitters, Raffi Torres and Matt Cooke may very well jostle for the top spot. Perhaps it makes sense that Torres feels for his fellow polarizing winger, then.
The San Jose Sharks forward had an interesting analogy for how people view Cooke, as CSNBayArea.com reports.
“I think he’s done a heck of a job the last couple of seasons to re-establish his game,” Torres said. “But with the media getting involved and especially social media, they make him out to be a serial killer. It’s kind of painful when you have to read that kind of stuff. I’m sure his family and close friends have to read that kind of stuff.”
It’s interesting that Torres, 32, would make such a comparison in defending someone else. After all, when he was a member of the Phoenix Coyotes, his former GM Don Maloney reacted to the outrage of Torres’ hit on Marian Hossa by saying, “You would think Raffi murdered a bus load of children the way he’s portrayed here in Chicago.” (Naturally, he would come to regret that statement.)
So, basically, one over-the-top assessment for another?
Regardless, Torres seems to empathize with Cooke’s feeling of throwing a lot of hard work away with that knee-on-knee hit with Colorado Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie.
“I’m sure he felt brutal in that moment [Monday] night, thinking, ‘What did I just do? All that work goes down the drain,'” Torres said. “He’ll take what he gets and I’m sure he’ll be back being an effective player for them in the future.”
Here’s video of the Minnesota Wild winger’s hit on Barrie, which will reportedly sideline the Avs blueliner for four-to-six weeks:
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
Veteran forward heads overseas after appearing in 600-plus NHL contests.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s got plenty of potential, but he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
His first game against Boston is scheduled for Feb. 9.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
The start of his rookie campaign is approaching.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Who will take advantage of the opening?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)