Apr 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Whether it was the right decision or not heading into the game, the bottom line is that Ray Emery eventually found himself on the bench during Tuesday’s eventual 4-1 Game 3 loss to the New York Rangers.
Which means it’s time to let out a sad sigh (if you’re a Flyers fan) and an evil cackle (if you hate the Flyers), as the franchise’s eternal goaltending questions may crop up once again. Fair or not based on the chances he faced, Emery allowed four goals on 20 shots before giving way to Steve Mason with a little less than 10 minutes remaining in the game.
Martin St. Louis is starting to find his offensive groove as his line with Rick Nash and Derek Stepan created quite a bit of offense for the Rangers. (Of course, Daniel Carcillo‘s offense was most … offensive in going up 4-1.)
The bad news might also be a blessing in disguise or the Flyers: Claude Giroux still hasn’t gotten his game together. That’s not ideal, although it provides some room for optimism as Philly is only down 2-1 even as its crucial star has largely been negated by the Rangers.
The Rangers continue to be a strong road team in winning what was an increasingly nasty contest.
The Rangers and Flyers face off in Game 4 on Friday, so Philly has an opportunity to catch its breath and maybe consider some lineup changes. Oh yeah, and Steve Mason gets some time to be truly 100 percent and prepare for what are almost certainly the biggest games of his career.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)